Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  PatTheBaker 
#1 ·
Hello, TSG!

Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen. Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often, so I didn't mind it and rebooted the computer normally. However, I got two more blue screens within the next hour. The 3rd time rebooting, my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus. Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don't remember, sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down. Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1" (and the same message for Drives 2 and 3) show up. Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F1 Key.

When Windows loads the first time, it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use. Also, my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday, November 07, 2005 (Which, if I recall, is the date when I got the computer) and my speakers do not work.

TL;DR Version
3 blue screens within a short time
Floppy disk fail
Drivers 1-3 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-1-3

Anyway, I browsed through Google but I haven't seen anyone with both problems. I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn't show up anymore, but the others do and my computer still isn't fixed. I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen. I use avast! Antivirus with COMODO Firewall.

Is this a virus? Is this because my hardware is old?

Here are the Specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series , 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 234738 MB, Free - 154482 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0X8582, , ..CN70821569G0WL.
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

See less See more
#2 ·
If the "Floppy Disk Failure" never came up before and you don't have a floppy drive, then I suspect maybe the CMOS memory may be corrupted, or the CMOS batterty is dead. The clock resetting itself to Monday, November 07, 2005 supports that.

What is the seven character Service Tag number on your Dell computer?

#4 ·
It looks like you have a Dimension 9100, about six years old... so you may need to buy a battery (less than $5 US).

If you are comfortable opening the case, you can try resetting the CMOS which may fix the problem if the CMOS is just corrupt. To open the case, remove the right side cover (there is a release latch for it). Then with the power cord unplugged, look for a jumper across two pins labeled "RTCRST" (it is near where the SATA hard drive cable plugs in). Move the jumper from the two pins where it is now so it is across the other pin and center, then move it back after 5 seconds.
(Note: this will make the floppy disk error come back, so you need to disable it again).

Plug the computer in, start it, and enter the BIOS Setup utility by pressing "F2". Keep the default settings, except:

On the System menu, set the date & time, and boot sequence (usually CDROM, HDD, then None)

On the Drives menu, disable the floppy controller.

Also on the Drives menu, for SATA operation, you may have to experiment. Try the default "RAID Autodetect/AHCI" first. Save the settings, and try to boot the computer. If Windows won't boot, go back to the Drives menu and try "RAID Autodetect/ ATA". If that still doesn't work, try "Combination". Be sure to save the settings before exiting the setup utility.

If the floppy drive error comes back, or the date & time reset, then you probably need a new battery. It is a metal disk on the motherboard about the size of a US 5 cent coin, part number CR2032 or 2032. They are available at Radio Shack, computer stores, and some drug and grocery stores for around $5. You need to have the coputer unplugged when replacing the battery, if you do replace it, will need to repeat the steps you followed with the reset jumper.

#5 ·
Sorry to say this, but an even worse problem occurred.
This morning when I went to turn the computer on, the CPU started to whir really loud and nothing would show on the screen. This would occur for a few seconds then shut off. Then, after a few more seconds the computer would turn itself back on and the same thing occurred. When I opened the case and looked for a jumper I saw two in different locations and accidentally resetted both. When I plugged the cord to the computer, it turned itself on and the same loud whirring and shutting of process happened, so I unplugged the cord.

I'm really afraid of what's happening. I think it's best to send it to an expert?

#6 ·
Sorry to say this, but an even worse problem occurred.
This morning when I went to turn the computer on, the CPU started to whir really loud and nothing would show on the screen. This would occur for a few seconds then shut off. Then, after a few more seconds the computer would turn itself back on and the same thing occurred. When I opened the case and looked for a jumper I saw two in different locations and accidentally resetted both. When I plugged the cord to the computer, it turned itself on and the same loud whirring and shutting of process happened, so I unplugged the cord.

I'm really afraid of what's happening. I think it's best to send it to an expert?
What does the bold part mean exactly ?

You could replace the Cmos battery yourself, that might be all that's wrong. They're nearly always type CR2302.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.