1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Floppy-Drive light on constant?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Katink, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

Hello there, as I said in another thread, I got a new computer yesterday (P4-2400Mhz-512 Mb Ddr-2 harddisks-CD-R and CD-RW; Os win98 SE).
    When it arrived (friends took it along) and was powered, the light on the floppy-drive went on and never turned off again. When inserting a disk, it's contents are not recognized ('unable to access drive a - it's busy'). As far as I can tell it is indeed busy - with rotating in an empty drive.

My friends say the light wasn't working when they installed everything on the new machine at their home, before bringing it over.

So apparantly the journey to my place (computer upright on carseat) has upset something. The case has been open, but no loose ends or anything like that could be found.

Does anybody know what I should do now to get it working normally again ? And if I can't get it right: is it a bad thing to keep on using the computer, with the drive working all the time, for a couple of days till a new drive if neccessary can be put in ? Is there a way, if it ís bad, to 'unplug' the drive and just leave it dead till it can be replaced ?

Thanks for any responses !:)

2. catlady13

catlady13

Are you sure that you have the floppy cable attached the right way round? The light on the floppy staying on and not going off is often a sign that it is attached backwards.
    Oh ps if it is a Panasonic it goes on the other way round.. I had that happen to me once.. had the one drive that attaches the other way .. YUCK

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Katink
    I agree with CatLady that the cable is probably installed backwards. You will have to open the tower side, (with Power Disconnected of course), and look for the floppy drives ribbon cable and reverse it. Sometimes it is easier to do it on the motherboard if the connectors are not pin oriented with slots or missing holes.

Also the drive itself may be defective.

Dave

4. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

I'll give it a try (turning cable ). Hope I don't mess up anything: I'm not exactly computer-literate I'm afraid. But I know how to take screws out (of the case):p so at the very least I can take a try at it. Thanks so far: will report back after this adventure...:cool:

5. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

Hmm: adventure was too big for me. The cable you are talking about can't be reached without dismantling the floppydrive and harddisks (and maybe also 1 CD-driver).
    I'll have to leave all that to someone who really knows what he's doing:( : I wouldn't trust myself on this.
    But that will take a few days (before that help arrives): so could you please answer the other questions for now ?

Thanks again for your replies.:)

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Katink
    Personally I would not use the unit if the drive is indeed plugged in backwards. If you are unable to reach the drive end of the main connector how about the other end on the motherboard. Removing it there would serve the same purpose.

Dave

7. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

I think I can reach the driver-end (but the end on the motherboard is complétely built in).
    But it isn't just a cable from floppydrive to motherboard; it comes from somewhere lower, the harddisk I think, where it is also plugged in (the plug into the floppy-drive is in the middle). Can I still take out that plug then (from the floppydrive)?

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Katink
    The floppy drive cable end is different then a standard hard drive ide cable and is a separate lead. Not seeing what you are seeing it may be better to not unplug anything and just not use the computer.

Dave

9. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

I just discovered something, reading your words over again: I think I misunderstood what you meant by turning around the ribbon-cable. I thought: take it loose from motherboard ánd from driver, and then put the end in the motherboard that was first in the driver (and v.v.).

Now I think you may mean to say: take out one plug, either in motherboard ór in driver, twist it 180 degrees, and then put it back in.

Could you tell me if this last understanding is right, or the first thing I thought after all ?
    (Sorry, as I said before: I really don't know much at all about hardware...)

10. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

The thing that goes ónly from drive to motherbaord isn't a ribbon-cable, but a bunch of loose wires (at the ends going into a plug vaguely like the plug at the end of the ribbon-cable).
    And maybe you are right it is safest to leave the machine off entirely: but I can't do that, I also wórk on it and tomorrow I have to work... so I think if leaving it is bad I must at least make an attempt to turn the drive off. Somehow...

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Katink
    Yes the connector needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The floppy drive connector is 34 pins where as the hard drive, CD rom cable is a 80 pin connector.

Dave

12. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

Thanks Davey: these leads might be enough for me to find the right thing to at least unplug (if the 180 degrees thing is beyond me). So I'll turn off the computer now and take a closer look (count the pins...more or less) so that I'm sure I'm pulling the right one. If it is that loose bunch (could well be some 34 wires I think): that is easier to reach than the ribbon. So maybe I'm in luck with it.

But before doing this I had better wait for daylight. Meaning it is rather dark around the computer now; ánd meaning it is over 4 am here at the moment; I really have to get some sleep before a new days work...

So thanks a lot for now: I'll tell you if I had no, half (disconnecting) or full (turning) success tomorrow.
    Thanks again !

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

Katink
    I believe the loose wires into a connector you are referring to may be the main power connector into your motherboard... So the worse that would happen leaving it disconnected would be the computer would not start.
    Do not attempt to reverse that plug!!!!!!

Dave

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It shouldn't be able to go both ways on a new board .....and I did that once on an older board :eek:

pop, pop, poof :eek:

15. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

I'll be carefull, thanks for the warning! First thing I'll do tomorrow is try to get ányone who knows more than I do to come and take a look; only if I can't find anybody to do that I'll take that closer look myself. I wouldn't want a brand-new computer going bad right away by some stupid mistake...
    Goodnight for now (at least for me; don't know the time you are living in).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice