[SOLVED] Floppy drive woes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gws226

Hey all... out of random for a change... and need a little assistance...

I've got a floppy drive that is not working properly. It installed/ appears to run fine. But when i put a disk in I get the please put disk in drive error.

It starts to read the disk... then displays the error.

I have tried thusfar...

-purchasing new floppy disks (even checked them in another PC)
-replacing the floppy with another new one.
-Unistalling and reinstalling the drivers

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
G

edit: I have also taken note that it attempts to read the floppy while booting but fails to give the non system disk error I would expect from a non bootable disk
(its currently set as 1st boot device in the bios)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you read a floppy in dos?

At the a: prompt,

dir
and press enter

gws226

Evening Candy,

No dice there... Same thing... attempts to read... then comes back with device not ready.

gws226

Ahhh... I think I got it!

I installed the drive into one of those prefabed housings in the case... as soon as I removed the drive from there... and put a floppy in... it worked fine...

Maybe I had it too tight against the external eject button?

Thanks for the help!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Yep, my next suggestion...take it out of the case.

I hate those type of drives. It will give you problems forever, at least mine does....if that screw is just a wee bit too tight......it cries......or if it's not up to the front of the case EXACTLY......

gws226

Originally posted by AcaCandy:
Yep, my next suggestion...take it out of the case.

I hate those type of drives. It will give you problems forever, at least mine does....if that screw is just a wee bit too tight......it cries......or if it's not up to the front of the case EXACTLY......
My first... and last expirence with this thing.... Floppy drives are obsolete in my book...

I admit it looks nice... but at the cost of wasting both yours and my time.... and mucking with my slim profit margin.... totally useless!

Thanks again Candy,
Have a great weekend!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online