1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Floppy Drive 'Write Protected'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big G's Sis, Oct 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big G's Sis

Big G's Sis Thread Starter

Hello and thank you in advance for any help and advice......I've had my system for a year and only just this week decided to make use of my floppy drive.......I'm trying to create 'rescue disks' for Norton's...It doesn't support burning to CD's so I have to use floppies....this is the first time I'm trying out my floppy drive...when I try to copy to the floppy it tells me the floppy is 'write protected'......I have the protect tab pulled back....I've tried all my blank floppies....when I then tried to format the drive itself with no floppy in it, I was told it is also 'write protected'...What gives?....thanks again.

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Look at one of your blank floppies. Can you see through the little write protect hole? If so, push the tab the other way. Now try it.

3. swwelsh

swwelsh

I think you have a bad floppy drive. I remember seeing this a few times and the drive had to be replaced

4. Paul D

Paul D

"when I then tried to format the drive itself with no floppy in it, I was told it is also 'write protected' "

You can't do that. You format the media, not the drive. You get the "write-protected"message because the detector light doesn't get blocked.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try going to my computer, right click on the floppy drive....properties, sharing......is it shared as?

6. Big G's Sis

Big G's Sis Thread Starter

Thank you to all who helped. As it turns out, it's a bad drive. Will replace it. :)

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And thank you very much for letting us know the end result!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!