[SOLVED] Floppy Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lonesome_wolf2000

Ok, here's my problem.

Floppy drive quit working.
Replaced with brand new one.
Doesnt read disks
replaced cable
doesnt read disks
replaced floppy drive again with another new one.
still wont read disks.

I checked CMOS and it's set to 1.44 floppy. I've made sure that the disks have something on them, i can read them in another computer. Also, ive verified that ive hooked the cables up correctly. There errors i will get are:

"disk is not formatted. do you wish to format it now"
"cannot read from source drive"

and once in a great while it will get this

"cannot read from specified device"

any ideas?

I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas as of now but i had this same problem with my old computer a lot. Either I couldn't read the disks on it, (and I got similar error messages) or I could save on it and couldn't read on other computers. (said it wasn't formatted) After losing several hairs I concluded that it was not a problem with the drive or the cables, but something with the computer. (maybe not but it made the theorizing easier by leaving it there -- never took the effort to find out) My solution was to not use the floppy and whenever I needed to use it I emailed it to myself and picked it back up from the email on the other computer, and eventually, just built a new one... as I desperately needed it. I don't know want you can do... maybe that will give you some ideas but I hope someone else can join in and help.

Try booting with a boot disk to see if it works in dos. If it does, then we know it is a Windows9x problem. If so, try removing it in device manager and and letting Windows find it again. It may just need the device drivers reloaded.

Ah yes, I forgot about that, if need be you could also put any ol'disk in and see if your computer stops booting... if it doesn't then there is definately a problem.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Also try accessing a floppy disk with the drive before you put it into the drive bay....hook it up on the outside, if it works there, you've either screwed it into the bay too tightly or you don't have it sitting level.....especially if it is accessed with a oval type slot instead of having the rectangular face plate.

lonesome_wolf2000

i believe the problem has fixed itself!!

I turned the computer off after adjust yet another cable, and then it started reading floppy discs

odd, yes i know....im not arguing

don'tcha just love it when it does that... gives your hair a chance to grow back too...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online