[Solved] Floppy Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mom4711

I tried to open my floppy drive but I get a message that says
A:\ is not accessible. I was also trying to make a startup disk but my comp kept telling me to insert a disk and there was one in there already. What could this problem be?:)

Hi,

Were you trying to access the same disk that you were attempting to use for creating a boot disk? If so, then the problem is probably the disk.
Try using a different disk.

No driver is required for a floppy drive, generally. Has it ever work and if it had have you been inside the PC? If the answer is no for both questions, it may be disabled in BOIS. Go to BIOS setup and enable it. Also as a test try a Windows Startup diskette to boot the PC. Let us know.

mom4711

I checked BIOS here is what I found.
Swap Floppy Drive is disabled and
Bootup Floppy Seek is enabled. what does this mean?

I am not sure. What brand and version of BIOS do you have? I have many LS-120. On the PC I am using it has Award BIOS and I have Floppy A and B disabled and Boot Sequence: LS-120, C, CD

Just a note, the floppy isn't write protected is it? You know, the little TAB that slides on the floopy disk itself?

mom4711

No it is not write protected. I checked the BIOS and here is what I found I hope this helps. It says Award Modular BIOS and then when I go into BIOS at the top it says ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A5LEP8F)

I don't know if this will help but i had this exact same problem last week!

Heres what i did to fix it....in BIOS i disabled both the Floppy drive swap and Floppy drive seek....(they were both enabled when i first checked the BIOS)

According to my systemboard manual....floppy drive swap is "if you have 2 diskette drives installed and you enable this item, drive a becomes drive b and visa versa. (i only have one floppy drive)

And for Floppy drive seek it said "If you enable this item, your system will check all floppy disk drives at start up. Disable this item unless you are using an old 360KB drive. (my computer is new so i figured my floppy drive wasn't very old)

This was all on the Advanced Setup page in BIOS, by the way.

Hope this helps!

mom4711

I think I found my problem. I went into CMOS and where it has Drive A and Drive B it had none so I changed Drive A to 1.44, 3.5in. I was them able to make a startup disk thanks for everyone's help I deeply appreciate it.:) :) :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online