1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: FN Hotkey on Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Honey2aB, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. Anyway, I have a toshiba satellite laptop C650D running windows 7. As of yesterday the blasted brightness control does not work.

As you know you have to press fn and F6 or F7 for the brightness to go up or down. I press FN then press either F6 or F7 and the brightness doesn't do anything. Doesn't go darker or brighter. Nada. I don't even know what number it has gotten itself stuck on, as the brightness seems like maybe a 6 or 7. For some reason my daughter likes her screen really dark at a number 2..yeesh..I don't know how she can see the screen. So now we have a problem.

Thanks for any help.

Honey

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's the most convenient way to adjust brightness. Does the following way work?

Control Panel - Display - Adjust Brightness - Change Plan settings (for your current plan) - move the 'Adjust plan brightness' slider.

Alternative: Click on the battery icon in the Notification Area - Adjust screen brightness - continue as above.

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Okay, checked on what you said...and yah, we can adjust our brightness/darkness thru the sliders, but I wonder why the F6 and F7 keys don't work anymore??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the brightness can still be adjusted my suspect is the Fn key, or the F6 and F7 keys, not working. Does the Fn key work with other keys?

Sometimes a key will not work because of foreign matter (a nice way to say crumb from whatever you were eating. :) ) getting stuck. Possible ways to dislodge it: by turning the keyboard upside down and tapping gently; using compressed air; carefully popping the key off.

5. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

sorry to take so long to reply...i had three 12 year olds for a sleepover on saturday and sunday....argh..i really can't stand sleepovers..I digress...anyway...the other keys work with the FN key

This has happened before then all of a sudden it's working again..don't know what's up with this laptop. Certain keys will stop working. Yesterday one of the kids was yelling MOM THE QUESTION MARK KEY IS NOT WORKING. Today, it's working. Drive me crazy. The F6/F7 wasn't working a while ago..then started working again..now not...again

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    "one of the kids " could be one of the problems.
    Lord knows what they have been doing? :D :eek:

7. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

yah tell me about it....the thing of it is, when you ask the kid who is currently on the laptop,and is having the problem...did you press anything?? What do you think the answer is? uh huh yah...."nothing"

And me, I can't even begin to figure out what happened....yeesh.

8. sabo10

sabo10

That happened to me with my ASUS laptop, I ran windows update and it fixed the problem for me. If that doesn't work maybe try the Windows FixIt utility. Go out to the MS website and search for FixIt.

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

crap....now the slider bar is missing when i click on the battery icon...i adjusted the screen brightness very low for my daughter to use..she has gone to bed and now I get the laptop for a bit...went to adjust the brightness as this is way too low for me, and........now brightness adjuster slider bar....gone...aaaaaahhhhhh...what in the heck next!!!!!

10. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

oh aaarrrgghhh....this was getting ridonkulous already,,,can't see the blasted screen...hurts the eyes because it was so dark, can't play one of my fool games on facebook..had to squint to see the screen....so you know what I did? I just popped the battery off on the back, popped it back in, and everything is working fine. F6/F7..good...brightness slider bar is back...see how long that works for.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. I was going to ask you to take a look in Device Manager for problems since the Fn keys need a special keyboard driver to work. But it sounds like you're OK for now.

I'd suggest making a backup of your entire system while it is working and before your hard drive fails so that you can always get everything back. You can use DVD's, but an external drive is a better idea since you can make more frequent backups.

At least create a new restore point right away.

Just a thought. These would be what to use to create the backup. A bootable CD is used to restore the backup if the machine won't boot.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page. (We can re-open it upon request if you need it to be opened again. Just use the Report button or PM a moderator.)

12. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Whoa...a boat load of info. I know my friends are always asking me if I backup my laptop. Answer is always no. I know. I know. ssshhhh LOL

It's funny, tho. I always seem to have some retard problem with my computers. We have an older model dell desktop that has barely anything on it, and is still running like a snail, with some real annoying issues..we get this laptop a few months ago and the same problems start occuring as on the desktop. WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT!!!

One friend of mine laughs and says she doesn't know anyone who keeps having the same kinds of problems on 2 different machines, different name brands..as I do. Even tho the desktop isn't used for anything except surfing the net, email and checkin' out ma facebook, and this one has games on here, pics on here, both of them continuously say "firefox not responding" when you ask them to do 2 things at once..sometimes even one thing. I will have to send you guys a report one day and maybe someone can spot what is going on in both of my machines. Thanx for your help. Have a great day

Honey

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice