1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Foam Mattress

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by aka Brett, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned Thread Starter

Ok..not a very exciting topic,but am needing recommendations for one of the foam mattresses.
    I hear some are broke down in a couple years..other last a long time..some are way to soft others way to firm
    First off I dont want to mimic a spring mattress or I would go get one...I want a firm foam mattress that isnt beat down in 3 years...am not going to spend a thousand bucks on one either.. 2 or 3 hundred yes.
    So...lets hear what you are happy with that you have owned a couple years or more :)

2. buffoon

buffoon

With a chronically bad back I've gone thru a few. One thing I felt most uncomfortable with was the so called memory variety. I don't tend towards excessive sweating during sleep but that one boiled me in no time at all. In the summer heat, ok. But it got pretty uncomfortable in winter as well.

It's really a question of how firm you like it. Too firm can be (individually) as undesirable as what I'd consider a sinker.

Only way I found to reach good was to lay on some in a shop for about half an hour (at least). Just a brief roll on it tells you nothing. It might annoy the attendant and amuse the customers but so what?

I've incidentally found that all new ones smell (chemically). Takes a bit of airing to get rid of that, some faster and some less fast.

I got my current one from a local IKEA but obviously have no idea where to go to in US. Latex and no visco elastic.

3. wowzer

wowzer

60% motionless waterbed... Had mine for 15 years and wouldn't trade it for any foam or spring mattress. It feels and sleeps the same as when I bought it.

4. jimi

jimi

:confused:err we have those swedish joints here as well:confused: did you get a totally confusing do-it-yourself-assembly-booklet with the mattress as with all things IKEA:D;)

5. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    I agree with wowzer- love my waterbed. Mine is also 60% waveless. I have had a spinal fusion and a laminectomy and I usually don't have any pain with the water bed. You can make it as warm or as cool as you want. You can also make it as firm as you want. They even have totally wave free ones. The more baffles the less waves.

6. buffoon

buffoon

Yeah. And I had 25 screws and 15 nuts left over. That boded well since anything above or below that spells trouble. As does everything working with nothing left over. :D

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Brett, I just went shopping for mattresses and such. Just saying, you're not going to get much (if anything) for $200.00.

I ask the guy at the store what the average bed price was, and he said $1200.00. I don't know how accurate, but judging from what I've seen, that sounds about right.

We spent about $1200 on our mattress about 12 years ago, and it's held together pretty well. It's starting to get worn; hence the reason we're looking.

You really are going to have to go to the store and lay on them to get a feel. Otherwise, I would not invest all that money in a bed that you're not comfortable on.

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    It's the old story of you get what you paid for. I have yet to see a relatively inexpensive foam mattress that didn't compress after just a few years - sometimes much sooner.

9. buffoon

buffoon

Yeah, buy cheap and you buy dear. Ye oulde skeleton is going to punish you for it.:(

10. hewee

hewee

I have or had a really bad back but a hard bed that is good for support but to hard.
    But then got a "egg crate foam bed mattress pad" that is really thick. Twin size one mom got when she was in kaiser hospital for her Rheumatoid Arthritis and the doctor made sure she got one but she bring them home each time and I have had mine for years. I have never seen any like it in the stores but it came from kaiser hospital and is about 3 inches thick.

Than another thing that I sleeped on that was great for my back and I stayed on my back and I twist and turn and 4 nights in a row I stayed on my back and had the best sleep and that was on a "AeroBed". Was when I went back east and was at my cousins place. She has a couple and she takes hers when ever she goes away from home.
    Not your real bed up off the floor but that do now or really made to use all the time but got to say I did love sleeping on it even if I had a harder time getting down and back up from the floor.

Wool mattress pads are said to be best to have under you to stay warm and in the summer to stay dry and cool.

11. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Glad you brought that up, Harry. Brett, not sure if you have one of those memory foam covers or not. We put one on our bed, and it really made a huge difference. For a $100.00 or so, it was quite a good investment. (y)

12. aka Brett

I have heard people complain about the heat issue as well ...so I dont have to have the memory foam...I do want a fairly firm one..if it turns out to firm I can put on a soft topper..maybe even go for a feather topper {they are great and somewhat harder to find as in the past}

Had one water bed...it killed me..I sleep on my side..while the bed felt good at first I didnt wake up feeling good

The waves for me wasnt the issue it was more the lack of firmness..not to mention its difficult to get the perfect temperature...for me anyway

I only need the top mattress...so I shouldnt have to spend to much..I could..I have the money..but just hate to give a company 800 bucks profit when I could try to keep another company afloat

If it lasts 3 years I will be happy enough,but will try another brand on the next go around...I just cant spend 1000 bucks on a piece of foam and call it justified while other companies are struggling for my business

I will look into the aero bed...I have also heard the same on the wool mattress pad and will be adding that to the list..but a little later in the event i add toppers to a mattress..I can aim for the best fit

13. aka Brett

The main reason I am asking about personal experience with a mattress rather than checking them out at the showroom...is there arent many places I can go to check them out.
    I went to a place the other day about 70 miles away..they had a decent one for 400 bucks..however it was a touch to soft for me..I can start to firm but not to soft.

Since the influx of immigration several years ago..A particular country that has bedbug problems brought bed bugs to the US..we had pretty much eliminated them decades ago.
    The problem is that now..the chemicals available to kill em just arent available {if following the label}

They are a snot to get rid of..and I dont want em...I can kill em..but its alot of work..so just best to avoid them.

We have several motels that have infected room etc...they choose to deny the problem until they are faced to accept it.

Many neighboring areas here accepted govt aid in way of rent kickbacks etc for the "minority"...thus making my willingness to go lay on a public mattress very low.

Its terrible as there are dozens upon dozens of apt units for example that are infected..they get rented..now the non "minorities" are infected get fed up with it and move..taking bed bugs with them..to now infect houses..motels etc.

While a public mattress isnt a "hot" spot for the little creatures as they basically feed and run/and a person doesnt carry them around per say like the head louse..they still can be taken from one location to another via clothes.

Tree hugging has brought about the inability to have a high success rate for ridding the creatures...coupled by the fact..its something that isnt talked about alot..thus reducing the education on the matter./ one may be getting tore up by them and not know the cause as a result....built in denial...people will blame it on everything else before accepting its bedbugs.

To summarize there is an epidemic for areas that took govt assistance with those from the unsaid nation...this has also spread to other areas because of moving etc.

I just dont trust most areas to go lay on the bed..thus thats pretty much ruled out "hunting" by trying them out.

14. hewee

hewee

NOTE: One the wool mattress pads there are many types and some are washerable and others are not.

15. aka Brett

Didnt think about that Hewee...thanks..I will have to make sure its washable
    A nice firm mattress with an eggshell topper and nice cover sounds comfortable enough.
    I think that is the plan so far..will toss it around a little

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice