1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folder Options are lost

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by geoffreybubb, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geoffreybubb

geoffreybubb Thread Starter

I can no longer find Folder Options in the Control Panel and Search for Folder Options shows no results. XP Home

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check in the menu of any folder.

3. geoffreybubb

Already tried that. It doesnt give the FULL range of options though.

4. DerekC

DerekC

What "FULL range of options"? The folder options located in the tools menu of any folder is the same that's in control panel.

5. Pratish

Pratish

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you please help us at least a little here? The Crystal Ball isn't working and the Medium is on vacation. What do you mean by "It doesnt give the FULL range of options"?

7. smith_

smith_

You computer infected with viruses. Scan your computer with good antivirus. You can use AVG. However you can activate this option through some registry editing. Follow this steps:
    Go to: Start/Run/Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden.
    Modify the string value "Type" and enter "group" as value data. After the edit is complete hit F5 to refresh.

8. geoffreybubb

As my PC has "lost"Folder options I cannot describe its options fully.As far as I recall the options available thru the menu are limited to that particular folder and are not as comprehensive as those in Folder Options accessed thru Control Panel which are applied to ALL folders.

When opening Folder Options thru Control Panel there are 3 tabs.One of those tabs deals with file associations, another tab gives a whole range of settings such as opening hidden files but I cant recall what settings are on the third tab.

I believe I have a registry problem and would like to try Pratish's answer if someone can give directions on how to run the Notepad script that I downloaded

Geoff

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is only one Folder Options. The same one is accessed through any folder's menu and the Control Panel.

So you do get folder options, but not all of them, is that what you are saying? Then, which do you not have, opened either way?

10. Pratish

Pratish

To open the downloaded file (if it is like Folder_Options.reg.txt) just rename the file to Folder_Options.reg.

11. DerekC

DerekC

The only time you get a "menu limited to that particular folder" is when you right click a folder and choose properties. What Elvandil and I are trying to say is, open a folder like "My Documents" on the menu bar choose tools, then folder options. This is the same "3 tab" list that displays in Control panel. Check to see if this is there before you start playing with the registry. If it's not there, then it might be caused by a virus, or it might have been changed to "hidden" with a program like TweakUI. If you need to alter something in the registry, or add a .reg file, make a backup of the registry, or a restore point first.

12. geoffreybubb

With you now , unfortunately Folder Options doesnt appear on my Menu/Tools.
    Just done an AVG scan and it shows no viruses, however I did have Trojan Horse last week and AVG cleared it for me.
    I'll try looking at that "hidden" by Tweak

13. Pratish

Pratish

14. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You should have 4 tabs. What tab is missing? Please check and be more precise.

[​IMG]

To reg files to try:

Attached Files:

15. geoffreybubb

Pratish,
    your solution worked fine. Many thanks.

Phantom,
    I dont have a tab for offline files but dont know whether I need one ?

Thanks guys for your assistance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice