1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folder Options on Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pops2307, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pops2307

pops2307 Thread Starter

Don't know if I've been hit with a virus or what but on my Desktop, my Background picture is there but along the left margin, the Folder Options is shown (Folder Tasks, Other Places, Details) with the drop down selections.
    I've also noticed that the icons for my internet connection and Volume aren't in the taskbar in the lower right corner. If I go to 'Sounds and Audion Devices' in Control Panel and check the option to dispaly an icon in the taskbar, the "speaker" icon appears as well as the internet connection. If I restart, it says that it is saving my settings and then continues the restart (reboot) and it completes but the Volume and internet connection icon aren't there.
    I first encountered all the above symptoms last night. I didn't know what happened and couldn't fix any of it. I "RESTOREd" to a previous time and all was OK. I even created a new restor point. This morning when I turned on my PC, the Folder Options was back on the Desktop. I went to RESTORE again and there were no restore points!!!!!
    HELP please.
    I read onliner somewhere that a corrupt profile can cause odd problems. Short of creating another profile, can this be repaired easily?

2. pops2307

pops2307 Thread Starter

Google'd "FolderTasks on Desktop" and got hits on several solutions.
    A Registry value was missing in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice