1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Folder Options" Won't Open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brookston, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

When I go to the Control Panel and click on Folder Options, all of a sudden it's asking me what program to open it with. What's up with that?! I've never seen this before. I wondered if it is caused by a virus (virus protection recently installed--after the fact--hasn't found anything) or by a recent "Compress rarely used files" routine I may be regretting for other reasons :eek:. Ideas?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can it be opened by clicking Tools > Folder Options...?

Try the following registry fix: CPLFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

Thanks much. I can get into the Folder Options through My Computer / Tools. Should have thought of that.

I do want my pc to fully behave the way it was intended, however, so I'll have a look at your reg suggestion. It's not quite clear to me what to do on the surface of it, but I'm guessing and hoping it will make sense as I wade into it. Not sure what's merging with what there.

I have a few other tasks to do first, so I'll come back with another report later on about being able to see Folder Options from the Control Panel as before.

Thanks again! :cool:

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

The .reg file will simply restore the appropriate registry keys for the Control Panel to their original state, if needed. If the fix doesn't solve your problem, no harm will be done to the registry anyway.

5. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

Thanks. Nice to know what its purpose is...Control Panel keys. Cool. Thanks again!! Still haven't tried it yet, but have some work I need to do for tomorrow that can't wait. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow afternoon and hope to have a good report.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice