1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folder thing on Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Heavenbound, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Heavenbound

Heavenbound Thread Starter

i don't know how else to explain this one, but after having multiple registry edits done, and system cleanings, i logged onto another user section of my pc to find that my desktop had been rearranged. what is this obnoxious folder bar to the left of my screen and how do i get rid of it?

Attached Files:

2. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

It looks like a form of spyware that got on your system. If it is what it looks like from
    the viewpoint here, try running a free pc scan at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx where Microsoft is
    providing a utility for this purpose. This can also be downloaded as well as Microsoft's
    AntiSpyware Remover found at: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Between these two utilities, a complete system scan will locate and remove any "bug"
    that has crept onto your system. The current version of the MS spyware remover does
    expire on 12/31/05, however. Two other utilities that have proven useful at this end on
    various occasions can be downloaded at the following links. One is an antivirus remover
    and sometimes spyware blocker as well as locator called AVG7.1 Professional edition. A
    trial download can be found at: http://www.grisoft.com It's good for a 30day tryout.

Another useful software offers a tryout and free edition known as "Adaware SE". The
    personal edition is free to download at: http://www.lavasoft.com Give these a try. In
    retrospect, a manual browse through the "desktop" folder may be all that is needed for
    a manual deletion of this "bug". That will remove the visible portion immediately. But! A
    word of caution is just how it got on your system in the first place? Most likely a visit
    to a new web site was the likely cause when some sites are geared to install spywares
    right onto your system. The MS Spyware Remover is good for flagging these attacks.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,
    What you have is Common Tasks showing on your desktop. You're not the first with this glitch. Try this:

Go to Doug Knox's site below. Click 'WinXP Fixes' on the left, and then 'Remove Common Tasks from Desktop' on the right. Download, unzip and run the file (or use the .vbs script offered). It fixes an incorrect Registry entry.

Doug Knox - remove Common Tasks from the desktop

4. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

"RegCleaner" found at: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html is an excellent
    utility for cleaning up registry entries left over after softwares are removed. Claymore
    is familiar with this as being a software related issue due to familiarity with the program
    that seems to be a stubborn issue on your system. The utility mentioned, however, is
    one that will go through the registry to locate any remove invalid entries without goof
    ups from manual edits by ? the less experienced? EVEN EXPERIENCED! After following
    the advise on this vbs script, anything left can probably be removed easy enough with
    the utility mentioned here. The other programs are good to have onhand to prevent a
    different type of headache from suddenly appearing.

5. Heavenbound

thank you for the info, i downloaded the script and ran it. i wasn't thinking, (usual for me), and ran it on another user desktop. when i logged off and onto the problem desktop i ran it again and it said that on repairs are needed. the common tasks is still there. can i fix this?

**UPDATE** aparently it didn't really log off the first time, i logged off again and it seems to have worked, thank you!!

6. Heavenbound

thank you, again, for your info. i ran the utility and downloaded the antispyware. i also have other utilities that i use on a daily basis so this pc shouldn't ever 'come down' with anything ;)

7. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

Great to see this one resolved fast! Those utilities have been invaluable at this end in
    keeping the bulk of garbage from ruining your day. They have also debugged other pcs
    that people wanted help with when they were goofed up by "something"?! The version
    you just downloaded was a fall update to the initial July release. Hopefully, Microsoft is
    intending to keep an updated version available when they replace an older one.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!