1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folder's 'Acces Denied'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jerricho, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

Today while I was scanning my C: drive with an anti-spyware, I found the program scanning a location C:\Documents and Settings\Student\My Document\......
    When I went to the C:\Documents and Settings folder I did see a folder named Student but as I clicked it I got an 'Access Denied' error. The C:\Documents and Settings folder contans all the user accounts I have for Window XP. Moreover the anti-spyware program was scanning quite a few folders and files in the 'Student' folder that I had created while I was in college.
    How do I access those files in the Student folder? Also, I guess those files are eating up my hard drive space, is there a way I can access that folder and delete them ?

2. Dan O

Dan O

What version of Windows XP are you using?

Right click the folder and select property and select Security. Then post the setting for us to review, include Advance settings as well.

3. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Professional (SP2). I do not see anything like 'Security' in the folder properties, the three tabs I see are 'General', 'Sharing' and 'Customize'

4. Dan O

Dan O

Are you using a Limited account or a Computer Administrator account?

As you must use a Computer Administrator account to access another account like Student.

If you do not know open the Control Panel, and select User Accounts.

5. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

I am logged in as an Administrator only. I can access other user accounts' folders with the admin privileges but not Student.

6. stantley

stantley

7. jerricho

jerricho Thread Starter

Ahhh....I finally was able to take ownership of the folder and now I can access it. Thanks a ton Stanley and Dan for your help :)

8. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news. I will mark this thread solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice