Solved: folders not sure about

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gmcsierra99

Banned
on my other computer (windows 98) i have alot of folders im not sure about, if their not needed please let me know, thanks (y), here they are:

occache
cpqdrv
Cpqs

i also have a bunch of folders named File0000 etc. and they have a Windows symbol, if i dont need these let me know. thanks.

The first is a "legacy" active x control folder. It could be deleted ...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154850&FR=1

The second 2 are a part of your Compaq installation. They "might" be needed for some purposes, especially if you reinstall the operating system or perhaps run one of their diagnostic applications.

The last I believe were created by scandisk at one time in an attempt to recover damaged data. They would have no current active use. But you should open them up and see what's in them if they are folders. It's possible some may contain personal data which you might want to keep.

occache seems to be an active X control
cpqdrv seems to a compaq pringter driver
cpqs looks like a compaq tape adapter driver.
i would open those other folders and see when they were created. not sure.

gmcsierra99

Banned
it wasnt my computer i got it from a family member Rog. i just wanted to know if i needed them or not.

gmcsierra99

Banned
aright Rog, i opened the cpqdrv, and theres files called CNXT, ESS, OSD (in OSD theres 2 folders called disk 1 and disk 2), and PATCHES, im going to open the other folder Cpqs and see whats in it.

and can i delete the occache folder?

gmcsierra99

Banned
cpqs has these folders:

Backweb
BWTools
CpqFlags
Models
Patches
Quicksr
Saverest
Support
Tools
Cpqslog.bin
Qrtools

You can certainly delete the oocache folder. I'd keep the compaq stuff unless you are extremely short on disk space -- and even then I'd just rename them and see if anything complains for a few days at least -- if not -- then you can delete them. As I mentioned -- they might be required for a reinstall of original hardware that came with the system or to run Compaq diagnostics.

gmcsierra99

Banned
ok thanks. im not running now where near low disk space, the hard drive is 10 gig (says 7.43 gig on the computer, dont know why) and have 4.49 gig free and 2.49 gig used, soo im good.

gmcsierra99

Banned
wait hold on, i found the occache in My Computer, right clicked the C: drive, properties, disk cleanup, clicked Downloaded Program Files, and then clicked View Files, and found it there. can i delete everything in there?

Yes, the only negative consequence is that the downloaded programs folder is the current active x cache. Which means that if you flush it you will be prompted to download new ones from sites that require them. The caveat here is that you MUST trust the site to authorize this.

I'm not necessarily saying that -- it's your choice. You just have to make judgements when you get those prompts. There is no risk in deleting the contents of that folder -- only if you allow untrusted sites to add their Active X components to it.

gmcsierra99

Banned
ok, i just didnt want to screw this computer up again. if it's not going to mess it up i'll probrably just delete all of the things in there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!