1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folders opening in own window, set to "same"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AcidRainFall, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AcidRainFall

AcidRainFall Thread Starter

And no smart-alec answers of "well there's an option to change that," I've done it :p
    so here's my issue... I just wiped and re-loaded XP Pro on my old Presario and
    I was attempting to manually change a few file types' default icon and worked my way down to "Folder"
    I opened it and was dismayed to find that the option to change icon was gone. I closed it out, and opened up "file folder" which actually gave me the choice. I saved it and went on my way. About 5 minutes later I typed into my address bar (in my start bar) My Documents\My Downloads and it opened up a search window (explorer search). I was confused... so I checked the advanced options of "file folder" again and noticed that under Actions: it only had "find" and it wasn't bold as if it were the default action
    So I added open and specified explorer and set it as default (as there wasn't one before) and closed it. I went to the address bar and pressed enter again and it opened my downloads, so I didn't complain. I then clicked on a folder and it opened in a new window.
    Oops... That wasn't supposed to happen
    I checked the folder options and it says "open in same window"
    So now I'm confused. I went back to "folder" and "file folder" and in both the action "open" was defaulted (and opens in Explorer) but here's the problem: the tick-box "Browse in same window" is grayed out and not selected. HELP!
    It's extremely irritating, as when they open, they open in random places all around my screen, not in any collated order (one after the other)
    Back and forward navigate within the same window, as does "up", but any time I try to open a folder it takes me into a new window.
    Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Other notes that may affect:
    -)Shortly after this I used a program to change all the icons, but this was an issue before that so I don't see how it would have affected it

-) I had accidentally pressed "Apply to All Folders" under the "view" tab, but I quickly pressed "Reset all folders" after having pressed "restore defaults"

-) Under the General tab, I have pressed "Restore defaults", and it's set to "open in same window", "Show Common tasks in folders", and "double click to open"

Thanks!

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. AcidRainFall

AcidRainFall Thread Starter

Ah you saved my life. Thanks!
    By the way, it's rather ironic to get a message that says "A reply to your post has been made by devil_himself"

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

Glad we Could Help

You can use the 'Thread Tools" at the top to Mark the Thread as Solved

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice