Solved: Folders with pictures in them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chuck-HD

Hi, A while ago I put my pictures into folders. I now realize I don't like them in folders. How can I remove them from the folders they are in?
chuck.:confused:

TerryNet

Terry
How can I remove them from the folders they are in?
If you are sure you want to get rid of the pictures delete them.

If you think you want to get rid of them but are not sure, move them to the Recycle bin.

If you want them somewhere else, move them to that place.

chuck-HD

Hi, I'm not sure I understand you. All I want to do is keep the pictures just remove the folders they are in.
Chuck.:confused:

chuck-HD

I'm not familiar with xxcopy. But what I would like is to get rid of all the folders not even have one left.
chuck.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Look at the /S switch variations with XXcopy. Lot of things you can do. You have to be careful should you have duplicate filenames. The /SG switch and its variations will come in handy for that.

you can use this batch code

make a backup of files before executing

Code:
@echo off
set src=C:\test
pushd "%src%"
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir /b /s /a-d') do move "%%a" "%src%"
for /f "delims=" %%b in ('dir /b /s /ad') do rd /q /s "%%b"
popd

TerryNet

Terry
Depending on the quantity of files/folders involved the commands and scripts suggested may be far more convenient.

To try to explain how my suggestion to "move the pictures" is equivalent to your "get rid of the folders" let me use an example.

You have, say, folders C:\pictures\lastweek and C:\pictures\today each containing some picture files, but you'd prefer to have all the files in the C:\pictures folder and not have the two sub folders. So, using whatever method you prefer move (or copy) all the picture files into C:\pictures and then delete the two sub folders.

chuck-HD

you can use this batch code

make a backup of files before executing

Code:
@echo off
pushd "%src%"
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir /b /s /a-d') do move "%%a" "%src%"
for /f "delims=" %%b in ('dir /b /s /ad') do rd /q /s "%%b"
popd
I'm really sorry but I'm really stupid here. Where do i put this code and what will it do. I can back up my files.
chuck.

chuck-HD

Look at the /S switch variations with XXcopy. Lot of things you can do. You have to be careful should you have duplicate filenames. The /SG switch and its variations will come in handy for that.
Is xxcopy a downloadable program?
chuck.

to backup the files copy the folder with pictures in another location

To use the batch code .. copy everything inside the code box.. open notepad . paste the code and save the file as "picren.bat" and double click on "picren.bat" to execute it.

you have to change the line in the code to reflect your folder

chuck-HD

Thanks everyone. The problem was solved by opening every folder, copying the contents and pasting them back into my pictures then deleting all the folders. It worked.
chuck.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Is xxcopy a downloadable program?
chuck.
Did you Google Search.

Thanks everyone. The problem was solved by opening every folder, copying the contents and pasting them back into my pictures then deleting all the folders. It worked.
chuck.
Sometimes you just need to K.I.S.S.
But one line of code with XXcopy would have done the trick.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online