1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: folders won't automtically open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ronyace, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronyace

ronyace Thread Starter

I'm running Windows ME and when I try to open a generic folder it goes to the pick a program to open with box. I can open it if I right click and choose open or explore but not by double clicking. In the folder options box under file types it has the folder listed with the extension N/A and I can't choose change to pick the program to open it with.

If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ronyace :confused:

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

A folder "opens with" Explorer but the freaky part for me is that you say folders will still open if you right click>open, but just not using the mouse. So that means that folders are still associated with explorer for the "open" command. So, try when you left click choosing "Explorer" when windows gives you the "open with..." question.

3. ronyace

ronyace Thread Starter

I tried to open with Explorer after double clicking but the explorer option was not listed. I browsed to it and opened the folder fine. After closing the folder and then double clicking again, it would not open. Usually the file type will remember the program used to open it but this did not.
    I think there is a missing folder extension for the folders but I don't know what extension a folder would have. The my documents folder opens fine and it has an extension of mydoc.
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice