1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folders won't open!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fisyar, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    I have been happily using Windows 7 for a while now, but recently whenever I click on folders such as My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures or Recycle Bin etc, they flash open for a split second and then appear open on the bar at the bottom where open programs are. If I click the icon of the now 'open' folder, it flashes for a split second again (just like it did earlier) and then the process repeats itself!

Please help me with this problem!

Regards,
    Fisyar

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: FolderFix

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

4. gfne

gfne

5. Phantom010

Something tells me you love MSE... :D

Looks like it's your miracle cure for everything... :D

6. gfne

gfne

Actually, a relative recommended it to me as Microsoft version of a malware/virus scan. Haven't used it yet.

But this problem with opening things, I've had myself. It wasn't a short fix.

7. helpful

helpful

Just a suggestion but there could also be a possibility of explorer.exe under Image File Execution Options.

8. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Dear Fellow Users,

Phantom010: I tried that Folder Fix thing but it doesn't seem to work. I cannot open ANY folder/briefcase on my computer, unless I open it through Microsoft Word/Publisher/Powerpoint etc. I am the administrator of my computer and it didn't seem to show any of what you told me about. Please can you either re-explain that in a different way in case I am getting it wrong or please give me another method.

gfne: I have downloaded MSE and am currently running a scan - will let you know how that went.

helpful: I have found my explorer.exe folder, but as I mentioned in my post to Phantom010, NO FOLDERS open.

At present, the problem still exists so Phantom010, gfne and helpful have any other alternatives please let me know. Also, if you are another user and has read my posts, please do contribute, I really want this problem solved.

Thanks again guys!

9. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Gfne - I have just finished a quick scan with MSE and no problems were found.

Thanks,
    Fisyar

10. gfne

gfne

Stupid question, but can you open control panel in the effort for creating a new user, to see if that user has the problem as well?

11. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Gfne - I am the sole user and administrator of my computer and I WAS able to open control panel and create a new user. I went onto the new user's account and found that none of the problems that exist with my account, exist with the account of the new user.
    I assume that this means that it is only my account that has the problem and not my whole computer!
    Are you able to tell me how to fix my account because I have a LOT of music, movie, document, publisher, excel, powerpoint and game files that I would not want to loose and that would be too hard to transport.
    Thank you for all your help so far!

If any other users have any ideas please do contribute? Phantom010 and helpful, do you have any more ideas?

12. Phantom010

Did you get any message prompt about successfully merging the file to the registry?

13. Hughv

Hughv

14. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try this
    Open IE. Go to advanced tab, switch off 'third party browser extensions. Restart your computer.
    I have read that with a similar problem in Vista, this sorted it. Sounds absurd, but worth a shot?

15. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Davehc - I tried that and it did not work. Thank you anyway. Do you have another suggestion?
    Hughv - Thank you for responding. Is there no other way to fix this problem? I would prefer to leave this method as a last resort.

16. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

I'll tell you exactly what happened. I downloaded the FolderFix thing and it came up on my desktop. Obviousley (because it is a folder) I could not open it. I right clicked on it and the only option with the word extract on it was extract all and I extracted a file to my desktop called folder_fix_w7. Thats pretty much all I could do. I probably made a big mstake and now sound like an idiot! Please can you help me Phantom010!!!

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961583