1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Folders won't open!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fisyar, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Right-click the .REG file [​IMG]called folder_fix_w7 and choose Merge. Then, reboot the computer.

2. gfne

gfne

You can try a manual fix, if none others work. Each user registry is stored in the users directory as ntuser.dat.

1) Login using another user (with administrator privileges) and find the ntuser.dat file in the users profile directory that has the problem.
    2) Rename it to ntuser.bad
    3) Then copy the ntuser.dat file in the default users profile directory to the suspect one.

3. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Thanks Phantom010 - problem is, I don't have the option to merge with that file!!

4. Phantom010

What if you simply double-click it?

5. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

If I simply double-click it, then, like ANY other folder on my computer it flashes up for a split second before going back down to the bar at the bottom 'un-openable'

6. Phantom010

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regedit.

Click File > Import...

Try importing that .reg file into your registry.

Close de registry editor.

When done, reboot the computer.

7. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Phantom010, let me start by saying thank you for your commitment to helping me solve this issue. It means a lot. I was sure that that would work and I followed your instructions, and I was really excited because you sounded really smart! So, unless I rebooted incorrectly (I went Windows Button + R - msconfg - Normal startup - ok - close applications - restart) I don't think that it worked!

What else can I possibly do?

8. Phantom010

Not msconfig. You need to type regedit in the Run box. That will open the Registry Editor.

To reboot, simply click Start and choose to restart the computer [​IMG].

9. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Sorry - My mistake.

I did that as well and still no change! Please can someone find a solution!!

Thank you once again for persitantly trying to fix this problem.

10. helpful

helpful

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Option

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/greggm/archive/2005/02/21/377663.aspx

It is very well documented that viruses will use this method to create keys for known processes that assist with the removal.

By creating a key under this registry location such as "notepad.exe" and than creating another key underneath called debugger with the value "cmd.exe" everytime you open notepad.exe cmd.exe will open instead.

Virus will put entries like "regedit.exe" "explorer.exe" to call another program (
    to repair itself or cause further damage) and afterwards call the proper exe without the user even knowing that the virus was run. In other cases the program may just be used to prevent the desired executable from running.

Please download the autorun utilty
    Extract to all to desktop, rename autoruns.exe to auto24sw.exe and run from the desktop.

Click on "Image Hijacks"

From the top menu File \ Save

Name file --> imagehacks_report_nov_17 and change "Save as Type" to txt

Click save

Attach report to this forum

11. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Thank you Helpful!
    I did everything that you told me - there were two autoruns.exe that went to my desktop. so far I have only renamed the one auto24sw.exe and the other one I left as normal.

I didn't really understand the rest or how to get to it. In case this is helpful, I am working on a Windows 7 computer and not a Mac.

Thank you for all your help,

Fisyar

12. helpful

helpful

Just basically run the renamed exe and follow the step by step instructions to export the log of image hijacks. This will tell us if your system has an image hijack described above.

13. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Hey Helpful,
    I did as you said and a whole lot of tabs came up some of which included image hijacks, winsock providers, LSA Providors, Internet Explorer and many more. When clicking on these tabs, most of them come up with a whole list of things except for Image Hijacks and a few others. I really want to get this sorted!
    What should I do??

Thank you for all your help,
    Regards,
    Fisyar

14. helpful

helpful

If nothing is displayed in image hijacks than there is something else causing the problems.

15. fisyar

fisyar Thread Starter

Dear Helpful,

I gathered as much. But then could you tell me how I could find out what the problem is and how to fix it? Thank you for all your help.

Phantom010 and Gifne! You haven't said anything in ages - can you please help me out! I value and greatly appreciate your contributions!

All other users: Please feel free to add your own comments. All comments are appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961583