Solved: Form handling on server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

memphiszen 🎂

It's my birthday!
Hi all, I'm a newbie at this so please bear with me. I need to create a suggestion form that will take the text in the form, and when the user clicks Submit, will send the text to an email address. Sounds simple, right? I thought it did, until I tried to do it. Creating the form is easy. I've used XHTML to create simple pages/forms in the past. But getting the server side to work is my problem. I'm running Windows Server 2000 on the server, with IIS, and there is an intranet site (very simple, created in Front Page) there. We are upgrading the site and want to have a suggestion form for people to fill out if so inclined. I found an example of ASP form on the web but can't open any of the .cs pages. I don't want to have to purchase additional software if I don't have to. Should I be using something else, like PHP or something? Help! Thanks.

Get Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and wamp for devolopment tools, they are good for server side code :D Cant you just store all of the suggestions in a MySql database ? If you plan to send mails you are going to have to set up a mail server.

memphiszen 🎂

It's my birthday!
Thanks for the reply Fabez. I didn't know I'd have to set up a mail server. Right now, we have Win Server 2003 as POP3 server for Outlook 2003. Will that suffice, or does it have to be a dedicated mail-only server such as Exchange Server? I remember in my Web Design class, we set up a simple form that posted info to a server script that the University IT staff developed. The information in the form would be emailed to my univ. email address. That's where I came up with the idea for this. Well, I guess I could have it go to a MySQL database. I've used Access quite a bit; is it a similar interface? I'm really looking for the easiest way to access the data that is submitted by users.

That will suffice, but I feel it would be easier to store your data in a MySql database as this seems like the easiest thing to do, for your situation :D

memphiszen 🎂

It's my birthday!
Thanks for the info Fabez. I'm investigating MySQL options now. I haven't used it before, but I enjoy learning new technologies and challenges. I can run mysql on a regular xp machine, correct? Or does it have to be set up on a dedicated server (for purposes of receiving the form information)? I'll mark this a solved - thanks for your info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online