1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: format ex raid drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gulo Luseus, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus Thread Starter

Hmm.... recent rebuild on my rig meant taking out the old raid system (2 satas) and putting in 2 SSds. In the confusion that always seems to come with it, I dont think I took the RAID off the originals. One of them went back in, shows in BIOS and disk management, but refuses to format. It currently says (through my computer) it sees it, and about 880 0f 931 Gb is used, however opening the drive shows it empty.

All raid is/was through the mobo, the original through Marvell raid, with the disk currently installed on the normal Intel raid set (2 are available onboard), but NOT as part of a raid system.

Tried view hidden files, and most of the normal stuff, formatting normally and through disk management, and every time I get a "cannot format" message.

The info on the disk is not necessary, everything is securely backed up several times. I would like to get the disk working again. any ideas? Thanks

specs as quoted.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The drive probably still has the partition information from the old raid setup.
    When you right click in computer management,do you have the option to
    delete volume or partition?
    If so,delete it,then right click again and create a new volume.
    Then format.
    If you don't have that option,you might want to wipe the drive and start fresh.
    Dban will wipe it for you.
    Just make sure you choose the right drive when running this as it will wipe
    everything on the drive including partitions.
    http://www.dban.org/

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to parted magic. You can secure erase drives along with a LOT of other things. I use this for secure erasing ssd drives as well. Did you raid the ssd drives by chance?

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

4. Gulo Luseus

Sorry.. havent had time to look at this for a couple days.

leroy.. yup, I assumed the raid info was still there. right clicking brings up greyed options, so no luck there. I get shrink volume, but if I try it the volume size stays the same and refuses to shrink anyway. That and format are the only options, and neither work.

Will try your and crj's, see if I can get somewhere.
    Thanks guys.. I get this sucker in the end :)

5. Gulo Luseus

Looks like the problem has been resolved, albeit with some unwanted side effects. I managed to get the drive up and running with Paragon
    Partition Manager (forgot I even had it, and hadn't installed since the last big format) got it going in the end. Unfortunately this corrupted the MBR ( I have a feeling the drive I was fixing became the system disk) and could not get it back, even with command prompt. Got round it by installing win on the new drive, then using EasyBCD to recognise my original install. Long winded and hassle, but I did want XP 32 to run some old stuff, so all in all, success.
    I have the drive back, second OS installed nicely, and old one back. Call it a solved, even though its not quite what I was looking for :)

CRJ- yup, the drives were raided. Speed increase is impossible- sequential write comes out around 350-400 Mb/s. Nice booting :)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing to remember is TRIM does not work with raid. You will need to image the array then break the array and secure erase both drives every 6 months or so. Recreate the array and restore the image. Without TRIM, you do not get wear leveling ie the drive are going to wear out faster.

7. Gulo Luseus

Thanks crj- I was aware of the non TRIM within RAID, but hadn't considered a split and recreate. thanks for the info :)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you will need to do that about every 3~6 months or so to keep the ssds "Fresh"

You can probably do the whole thing in <30min.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice