1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guitsy, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitsy

guitsy Thread Starter

I have a windows 95 operating system computer. I need to load windows 98 to it.I was told that the Windows 98 Full O.E.M. version cannot be used I have to buy the windows 98 upgrade. The problem is I already purchased the Full version over e-bay is it true that even if I format the hard drive the O.E.M. still cannot be used?

2. net_newsy

net_newsy

You may install it ;)

Full edition - includes boot diskette and can be installed on a blank drive

OEM edition - installation depends on part on how an OEM configures the installation. In most cases, the OEM edition will install safely on top of a prior installation of Windows 98, but will erase the entire first hard drive and put a fresh install of Windows 98 if Windows 98 is not detected.

3. rugrat

rugrat

Not True, If you format using a 98 se boot disk, boot with the disk, put in the cd and go to your cd rom and type setup
    it will be good to go.

PS: Welcome

Let us know if you need more specific info

4. rugrat

rugrat

Not true not meaning the post from net_newsy, just the other crap you were told. The OEM version of 98 is the full version liscensed to oem distributors. Dell, Hp and others have recovery disks that ARE dependant on specific hardware configurations. I have used OEM disks for 95, 98se and XP on homebuilt machines with no problems.

SeeYa

5. net_newsy

net_newsy

6. rugrat

rugrat

net newsy, I hate this dialup I am on while traveling!!!! I assumed the full version guitsy is talking about is the OEM version which should work fine. Which is what you said.

SeeYa

7. net_newsy

net_newsy

me too! sometimes my posts took late ...nah! no problem 'bout that! (y)

have a nice trip ;)

8. guitsy

guitsy Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers, if everything works out I will certainly make it known.

9. guitsy

guitsy Thread Starter

I have a computer with windows 95 installed I intend to load win. 98 O.E.M full version.I understand that I have to formatb the hadrdrive first . How do I format the drive?

10. Mobo007

Mobo007

i dunno about the 98cd cause i havent installed it before but with xp all i did was put the disc in and turned on the computer and pressed enter when it said "boot from cd" and i then followed the info on the screen first i deleted my current partition and then i created a new one and told setup to install windows on that partition its actually easy but i dunno if this applys to 98 though

hope i helped,

Liam

11. JayT

JayT

Formatting the hard drive is not really a problem. What is a problem is what to do before and after formatting. First you should make sure that you have all the drivers that you need for your hardware. You will find that many of your devices--especially scanners will not work with the Win98 drivers. Then you should read this:http://www.topqualityfreeware.com/wininst.html

12. guitsy

guitsy Thread Starter

How do I format a hard drive with win 95 loaded on it

13. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

1) make a back up of your data
    2) Create a boot disk
    3) Boot off win95 boot disk
    at the a prompt type format c: <enter>

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I've merged both of your threads regarding the same subject matter, please post only once. Also, I've moved you to hardware as this is probably better posted there ;)

EDIT: all 3 of your threads ;)

15. rugrat

rugrat

Even with win95 loaded, I would suggest going to www.bootdisk.com
    download the win98se OEM file to your machine in a file you can find it in, ie temp or any other. place a fresh or reformatted flopy in the floppy drivr and find the file you downloaded. Double click the file and it will create a boot disk in the floppy. Shut down the machine, leave the floppy in and reboot. When the option comes up, boot with cd rom support. At the A:\> prompt type in "format c:" without the quotes. This will format the drive and remove everything on it. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ANYTHING CRITICAL FIRST!!!! Once the drive is formatted, boot again with the floppy and type in the letter of your cd rom (It has moved one letter due to the floppy creating a ram drive, IE if it was D: it is nowE: ) At the prompt and with the cd in the drive type "setup" without quotes, it will now load the OS. Be advised, you may have to search for drivers for some hardware.

SeeYa

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/204590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice