1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skip113, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

I am having to format a hard drive and have never done one before. I am looking for some help and advice. If anyone wants to give me a hand I am all ears and willing to learn.

2. brianF

brianF

Bryan posted this awhile ago, but it's a good read on how to format and reinstall win98

First what type of Microsoft CD do you have? I'll assume it's W98. If it's not, don't use these
    instructions til you let us know what version you'll be installing. Anyway, if it’s an upgrade CD then
    you’ll need to be sure you have your old W95 CD or 3.1 diskettes available. During the install you
    will be required to prove you have a qualifying product for the upgrade. If you have a Full Copy of
    W98 on CD, then that's all you'll need.

You'll also need a W98 bootdisk. If you don’t have one then you can make one
    from here. Or if you still have access to your W98 PC or any other W98 PC you can make one from
    there.

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>Add/RemovePrograms>StartupDisk>CreateDisk

Be sure to have your Windows "Product Key" available. You’ll need it during the install. It should be
    on the sleeve that holds your W98 CD or on the Windows booklet. If you have neither but have
    access to your W98 PC, then you can get it from the Windows registry. Start>Run, key in regedit
    and press enter. Navigate to here by single left clicking on each one of these in the left pane,

HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion.
    The ProductKey is listed in the right pane.

Once you have all of that, insert the bootdisk and power on the machine. It should boot up to a boot
    menu. If not, you’ll need to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to A,C

After it has booted to the bootmenu, select the option to "Start with CD Rom Support". Somewhere
    on the screen at the very end, it tells you what drive letter it has temporarily assigned to the CDRom
    drive. It will look something like this, e: MSCD001 or e: OEMSCD001. In that example, the CDRom
    drive is e. Make a note of it. If you don't see that phrase on the screen then you didn't get CD Rom
    support. Stop and do not go any further since you won't be able to install Windows from CD without
    CDRom support.

Assuming you did get CDRom support, then at this point, once you've fdisked and formatted the
    drive, there's no going back. All of the data and programs will be erased from the drive. At an a:
    prompt key in the following,

fdisk

Leave the default set to "Y" for large disk support and press enter.

Now use the option to "Delete Partitions". Delete any and all you see listed. Now take the option to
    "Create a Partition" and create a "Primary DOS" partition.

format c: /s

When it's done insert your Windows CD. Key in the following at the prompt and be sure to change
    the drive letter, "e", if necessary, depending on the drive letter assigned to your CDRom drive. You
    should have made note of it earlier.

e:\setup

3. skip113

skip113 Thread Starter

Hi Brian

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you, too much work.
    I did it! everything went well, thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/70307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice