1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Format laptop (WinXP) without cd for drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by machi8, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machi8

machi8 Thread Starter

Hi!
    I have a IBM laptop and has become very very slow lately(although i am not connected to the internet and i rarely use it).
    I'm thinking of doing a format but when i bought it (a year ago) I wasn't given any cd's.
    I have a cd from an another Siemens laptop I have for WinXP Home Edition-SP1 (Product Recovery cd-rom).
    Could i use this to format the other laptop?Will I need a cd for the drives?
    I have to find a cd or i can download the drives?

I'll appreciate vey much any help.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The Siemens recovery CD probably (99% sure) isn't going to work with an IBM laptop because it is specific to the hardware. It also would be in volation of the EULA.

If the IBM has a hidden recovery partition you could tr-install from that. If you bought the IBM laptop new you should be able to get Windows installation or recovery CDs from IBM.

3. machi8

machi8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer!I will try to find the cds.I think i easier than the second solution as i am not a computer expert.Thanks!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice