1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] formating problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by marko20, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi all,
    thanks for your help. the problem im having is i put my boot up disc in, turn on the computer it does the necc. things then i change the a:/ to c:/ type format c:/s it then comes back with the command that there is insufficent memory to perform the format, format aborted.
    im using wx98 2nd edition with 256mb and system info reports ive got 80 % resources free.
    ive tried using a different boot up disc but that didnt work either.

2. kevt

kevt

I'm assuming you have a boot disk in the A: drive, rather than a bootable CD here.
    Make sure its a Win 98 boot disk, not a DOS boot disk. If it is a DOS boot disk then make sure there's no Ramdrive consuming your 1Mb memory. Make sure you're using HIMEM etc. The best solution is to download a Win98 boot disk creator, probably with CD support, which will be optimised for you. Just search in Google and you'll find one. :)
    Cheers...

3. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

4. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

thanks for your replys.ive downloaded the disc but now when i try putting in my boot disc rather then getting the 3 options(start with, start with out, support etc) its now giving me 2 options asking where iwant to boot from i.e h/d or cd if i choose h/d it starts the comp. up if i choose the c/d i then get back to the 3 options start with, without etc so i choose start with cd support get the a:/ prompt type format but get 'bad command or file name' try changing it to c:/ and get the same thing.have i corrupted a file or something as icant even get to the format stage. ta

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

You probably saved the download to floppy. You can't do that. You must save it to desktop, then double click on it to create the floppy disk......just follow the prompts.

6. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi and thanks,
    saved file to desktop and then saved to floppy.then tried again to format but got the same problem (c:/s bad command or file name).so i changed the drive letter to b:/ then typed format c:/s and it worked as far as it tried to format but came back with the origional message 'insuffecent memory to format c' 'format terminated'
    why the drive letter has changed ive no idea as for the error message as no idea.ive tried file checker etc and no problems there.

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Once you save the downloaded boot file to your desktop, place a clean floppy in your floppy drive and then double click on the desktop file icon. This should CREATE a boot disk.

To test your boot disk, leave the dick in the floppy drive and power down. Then power up and the system should boot to an
    A:\> prompt. If it doesn't boot to an A:\> then your boot disk is not working.

Remember, a boot disk must be CREATED, not COPIED.

8. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

9. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi,
    right theres nothing wrong with the disc as ive tried it on my other pc and it works fine i.e i get the a:/ prompt but try it in the comp. im trying to format i still get the same insuffecent mem. error.

10. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi,
    cheers cowboy622 this has worked fine.
    but now its formatted ive encountered another problem ,error message reads 'windows requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run' after typing d:/ set up this is what it saying were do i go from here.

11. ~Candy~

Did you run fdisk first, then set active partition?

12. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi,
    no how do i do that

13. ~Candy~

With the boot disk, at the a: prompt,

type fdisk and press enter, enable LBA support, then follow instructions to create active partition. I assume the hard drive is larger than 540 megs ( I think that is the drop off for LBA not being asked about ).

Then format c: again.

14. marko20

marko20 Thread Starter

hi,
    thanks for your help everybody.im up and running again.(until next time!!)

15. ~Candy~

You're welcome. Have a good day :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice