1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Formatted 2ed hard drive, not computer wont reconize it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k_bo, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

What I did that I think might have caused the problem is, I have 2 hard drives in my computer: a 500gb that windows is installed on and then a 1tb hard drive that I just put in recently. After about a week of putting the 1tb hard drive in I formatted it so that I could use it as storage. Im not sure what I formatted it to because I was really just wanting to erase whatever was on it. I wasn't sure if i was going to use it as my main windows hdd or just use it as storage.

Now after a long delade boot, the 1tb hdd dosnt show up in My Computer or in device manager under drives.

Here is the run down of what happens at the boot:

at the bios DELL screen, it lags for about 3-4 minus (cant even hit F2 at this point for settings).
    Then I get a message that says "Drive 2 not found: Serial ATA sata-2
    Alert! Failed to detect one or more drives during POST."

I can push F1 to contune and when I do, windows boots up and everything seems fine but the second drive dosent show up in My computer or in device manager under drives.

If i unplug that hdd then boot, I get no such alert and it boot as normal

System Info.:

System
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model Dell XPS420
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 1

Storage
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1397 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 250 GB Free (455 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 1 GB Free (11 GB Total)
    Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
    Media drive (F:) CD/DVD
    Disk partition (L:) 206 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Total available graphics memory 2654 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 896 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1758 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.9610
    Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
    DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
    Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Network Adapter Anchorfree HSS Adapter

2. srhoades

srhoades

According to the system info you printed it appears to be disk letter L. That is a 1TB drive. Go to control panel > administrative tools > computer managment > disk management. Does the drive show up there?

3. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

oh, sorry about that, disk letter L is my external hard drive. That is also 1TB. I forgot to put that in my post. I went to computer management as well just to check but it does not show up.

4. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

oh, sorry about that, disk letter L is my external hard drive. That is also 1TB. I forgot to put that in my post. I went to computer management as well just to check but it does not show up.

5. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

I am realizing that this problem that i am having trouble with may be more compliced then I thought.

I've been researching this issue for a couple of hours now and my problem could be a couple of things....

One is that this is a hand-down computer so I dont know what setting where used in the bios or if there was a RAID setup or not

And the other is that the Seagate hard drive that I got may have a failed firmware that many of the same HDD has been having, in witch case only Seagate would be able to fix or replace.

I will post to this thread and try to keep it open so that any others that come to look with the same problem may find a solution as well.

6. srhoades

srhoades

Go into the BIOS when the computer is starting. If it doesn't show in the BIOS, something is wrong with the drive, or the perhaps the cable is not secure.

7. k_bo

k_bo Thread Starter

Yeah, I just wanted to let the tread know that I was the firmware on the HDD that failed. Me formatting it must of what triggered it. I sent it to the manufacture (it was actually easy, free shipping with UPS. Thanks Seagate!) and they sent it back fixed. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062053