1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Formatting Headers/Footers in Word 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CarolinaBill, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have had trouble formatting Word 2003 documents so that the header is suppressed on the first page but the footer prints. It is probably some little thing that I am missing. I am a dyed-in-the-wool WordPerfect fan and use Word only as a last resort, so am not familiar with some of the fine points of the latter. To briefly summarize: I have gone to the View / Headers and Footers menu and entered the desired text for the header and the footer. Then I have gone to the Page Layout button and run into trouble there. If I click on First Page different, I suppress printing of both the header and the footer. I have tried choosing "From this point forward" and then entering header text on the second page rather than the first, but either both header and footer are blank on the first page, or if I unclick the box for First Page Different, then the header displays as well as the footer. I will appreciate any help.

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Sounds like what you need is a section break. At the end of the first page, insert a section break - make sure you make it a page section break. This will allow you to have different headers for each section. On page 2 (which is now the first page of section 2), enter your header. On the header and footer toolbar, there is a "link to previous" button. It's selected by default, so you'll have to unselect it. The header might have automatically been put onto the first page; if so, go to page one and delete the header. As long as the "link to previous" button is not enabled, this should delete the header on only the first page, leaving you with the footer on all pages. Let us know if you need clarification on any of the steps since you're not used to using Word. Good luck! (y)

3. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

Thank you. I worked through it. A wee bit complicated but successful.
    Now I can't find the button to push to mark this Solved.

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Great to hear! The solved button should be at the top of this thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice