1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Formatting issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vls76, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vls76

vls76 Thread Starter

Okay, guys, you've all been great in helping with my computer issues. One more and I think I'll be out of your hair for a while at least ;).

The situation is I've got a computer running XP, but the hard drive is a little too small. I had a larger hard drive in my 98 machine and I've slaved that drive and installed it in this computer. I've moved everything I need to the C drive temporarily and I want to reformat the D drive to wipe out everything on it. Problem is, I know how to do it from a DOS prompt but XP doesn't seem to have one. How do I format this drive (mainly want to get rid of the operating system)?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You do not need DOS . . enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

3. vls76

vls76 Thread Starter

My Xp came with the new computer and I don't have a disk. Is there any other way to do it?

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. vls76

vls76 Thread Starter

Sorry, there are two hard drives in the machine. The main drive has XP installed and works fine, don't have to do anything with it. The other drive was taken from another machine and has Windows 98 on it. I want to use this drive for extra storage so its operating system has to come off, along with everything else that I no longer need.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

I added to the post above yours . . follow those instructions

7. vls76

vls76 Thread Starter

Thanks that's exactly what I needed. All better now (for the moment).

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . . (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice