1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Forum to Forum Harassment.....

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by imperfeckd, Feb 3, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. imperfeckd

imperfeckd Banned Thread Starter

Hypothetically speaking...Let's say that a person or people just joined TSG because he/she/they wanted to cause problems and to harass one or more of your fellow members,,be it a popular member or not so popular one...Exactly how far would you go to protect these members from emotional harm,harassment and/or abuse...?...How far would you go to try to stop this from happening ???

TSG has one of the most diverse family like environments...I have found the members here to be civil to each other even though we all have our agreements and disagreements...IMHO we are like one big happy Family ....So what course of action would you take...?...And what would you do if you happpen to be the Victim ?

*****Edit:I direct this Question to the Members here and also To The moderators*****

2. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Hi Imprfckd,
    I don't know if you're addressing this to mods, or regular members?...
    Personally, if someone stalked me to here from somewhere else, and had been harrassing or stalking in the previous place, I would front them off openly.
    I wouldn't do it at first most likely, but if they started to weird me out here in any way, say PM'ing me weirdly, or tried to covertly initiate contact, I'd post their PMs, and expose them.
    This is my first forum home. I have belonged to a few groups on MSN...photography, crafts, gardening....stuff like that, and never had harrassment problems.
    But I have in uncyberlife, and have identified to everyone the harrasser, and warded them off. (One took a long time)
    There have been 2 people like that in my life that have tried to intimidate me into submission and silence. The only way I know to ward it off, is to blow it wide open from the very beginning, and not engage with the problem person myself...that is, not respond to veiled threats, not respond to them trying to set things straight, not argueing with them to re-inforce the connection....that kind of thing.
    I front them off, and let people be warned. And in the uncyberlife, I am the one that warns them to back way off, and let everyone be witness to my concern.
    I don't know if that is wrong proceedure for a forum setting....but people here know me to be confrontive when I am angered or very concerned. I even blow up at times with no provocation.
    If someone tried to corner me in my home forum....well, I am emotionally claustrophobic, really....I would really blow up. The people here that value me would understand.

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

So you've noticed people harrass Mulder and inflict emotional harm!

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Report your problems to mistress Cookiegal... she will take care of them in her own special way...

5. imperfeckd

O'k.....Mulder....What would you do if it was Directed at one of the other members of this familiy???;)

6. Chicon

Chicon

The ignore list is a sufficient tool to avoid harassment. There's no need to call the police.

7. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

if they're trolling them in front of everyone...we can see what they're doing .....is this really happening here Di?

8. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

So that is what happened to you:p :p :p

9. imperfeckd

hi Gabriel...No it is not happening to me.........yet...;) .......but i am very curious how everyone would handle this situation....There have been instances where i have been stalked and my way of handling it was to leave the forum and move on to another one....i guess i copped out instead of confronting...:rolleyes:

I know that this can become an every day experience in a persons life especially here in cyber space...i would really like to see the consensus of what everyone would do if this was to happen to themselves or if they saw it happen to someone else who calls this forum Home...

And i also liked your reply to this...We do have to stick up for ourselves in situations like this...I know that if i was to see it happen to someone here,no matter what their popularity is,i would immediately go on the offensive to help that person....:) ...After all that is what Friends and Family is about....;) :)

10. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Hi Di...
    I am lucky to have landed in TSG as my first forum.....for the better part, it is safe here, even though some weirdness occurs ....... it is addressed and absorbed.
    Also, I have seen that it's possible to be treated with respect (though we do get testy with each other at times:eek: )
    It might be a good idea to leave a forum if stalkingly harrassed. I would hate that anyone left here though, for that reason. That would mean the perpetrator was still in our midst:( .

11. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Simply put, if I saw that someone was doing such a thing, I'd ask them what the hell their problem was. Provided they have a valid answer, I would then proceed to discuss the issue with them until they realize just how friggin' stupid they are.

12. katonca

katonca

I'd tell him/her to report it to a mod/admin. and not to runaway from HOME ;) :D

13. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hmmm what do we do !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i was followed from one forum to another with the sole purpose of being made a victim .. i would be rather annoyed to say the least...
    But im sure they would get bored rather easily.. and after all Diane what could they do ?????
    Apart from annoy

14. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Personally I wouldn't use the ignore button but I would ignore them. I'd want to know what they were saying so I could refute it to those who's opinions I cared about. But I would do that privately not in public. People like that feed on the fight, if you don't bite and give it to them they will usually get bored and give up.
    Also, as far as the moderators go here at TSG I think if they were witnessing a lot of one sided bashing it wouldn't take long for them to step in and deal with the trouble maker.

15. Shamou

Shamou

From what I've seen, new members don't have too much leeway from the mods... if they start messing... they're back on street pronto...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice