1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Forward certain Outlook mail to networked pc that musn't get mail from anywhe

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eVILRigby, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eVILRigby

eVILRigby Thread Starter

Hello,
    I would like to set the following up. My main office pc sends and receives email from / to my business email address using Outlook 2002. I have the usual spam issues and use McAfee Security Centre which does a pretty good job in dealing with them and keeping them out of my inbox but I do receive literally a 1000 a day.

Now I have a networked PC running an EPOS system on the shop floor. It would be useful to forward certain emails regarding customer orders to this machine to deal with.

Now here's my question. Is it possible to set up Outlook or Thunderbird or something on the shop floor pc to ONLY receive email from the office machine, either from the specific email address that outbound mail from that the office pc would use, or via some other mechanism? But NOT from ANY other email account and certainly not from the internet at large. What I'm trying to avoid is the shop floor machine being swamped with spam even if it's dealt with properly whenever I receive the forwarded mails.

If I did want to send email from the shop floor machine, could I use the same business email address? (Or would I have to have a seperate email address?) This isn't essential but might be useful.

I guess I could simply set up a webmail account which I forward certain emails to and log into that from the shop floor pc which is always connected to the internet via our network, although we will be browsing from that machine only when absolutely necessary to check stock at our suppliers etc. That would be very simple in terms of being able to deal with customer orders etc. But I just wondered if there was any way of doing it using a dedicated mail client on the machine? Although it has just occurred if I wanted to send email from the shop floor till pc and I was say using a googlemail account I could set it up to popforward and look as though I was sending from my business email address I think. I don't know if that would cause any conflicts though.

I just wondered if anyone had any good suggestions on this. Or is there some internal over-network messaging software that might be a better solution? Which I could cut and paste relevant info into from other sources like emails. This actually could be useful for other things too. And might actually be a better solution.

I would just welcome anyone's thoughts suggestions on this. I've just spent the last three months setting my EPOS system up, collecting barcodes and product information on 5,000 products so my head has pretty much melted right now!

many thanks,
    Jonathan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice