1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Found New Hardware. Unknown Device.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjesh, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

What am I missing here? I bought a Mitsumi external usb floppy drive on eBay. Plug it in either an Intel or nVidia chipset desktop machine with XP SP-2 and I get the Found New Hardware and Unknown Device boxes at the toolbar. This is confirmed in Device Manager. The enclosed floppy is a model D353G. The enclosure is marked "Generic USB FDD (UD-376)." The software known as "USBDeview" can tell me little about it, but it does see the firmware as "1.03" and lists vendor and product ids.

Since I shouldn't need USB drivers for XP with SP-2, am I missing the obvious, or have I been screwed by a zealous seller? tia

Merry Christmas! btw :cool:

tj

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the Vendor and Product ID's.

3. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  4. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

managed,

USBDeview lists the Vendor ID as "1955" and Product ID as "0376".
    USB Class 08, Subclass 06, Protocol 50, Hub 0, Port 7 (where wireless trackball also resides)
    The balance of the Generic USB (UD-376) line is totally blank.

UDI 7.0 produces quite a lengthy list. :cool:
    The one that stands out, however, is: "Unknown Device" "Vendor: Microsoft" "PnplD: usb\unknown"

Upon plugging in the drive, a task bar balloon announces: "One of the USB devices attached has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance, click...." This, in turn, advises me to "Try reconnecting. If still not recognized, replace the device." It might as well tell me to "Go Pound Sand." :cool:

Does this info mean anything to you?

Regards and thanks for reading. tj

5. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

I see that maybe we miscommunicated re Vendor and Product ID values.
    Be apprised that the current value I see in Device Manager is:
    USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&2A11ADF8&0&7
    On a previous attempt, this read:
    USB\VID_1955&PID_0376\5&2A11ADF8&0&7

Regards, tj

6. D-Berd

D-Berd

Do you have the latest updates for windows? And do you have the latest drivers for your motherboard chipset? Have you checked to see if there are bios updates for your motherboard? Have you noticed anything else odd going on with the pc?

7. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

One of the testee motherboards is a brand new Gigabyte X58.
    The Mitsumi dates from the Win95 era. I doubt if my grief is in the BIOS.
    I no longer update my XP, but all other USB devices are fine, and driver updates unlikely.

I'm sufficiently cranked by the situation that I dropped a twenty on a refurbished IBM model, also said by MS to allow for F6 manipulations during installations. If and when it arrives, I'll soon know if I was sold a defective Mitsumi. :cool:

FWIW: I have access to a W7 machine (which I will testbed later today), but for the life of me, I cannot see enough material "advantages" to this OS to justify the aggravation of learning a new, exciting interface. :)
    IMHO, the only disadvantages of XP are at install-time, Sandforce SSD controller alignment, and for Halo players. :rolleyes:

Regards, tj

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It seems that floppy drive was mostly used on Macs and needs a driver to work on a PC.
    Try the driver attached below, rename it to UD376v102.EXE then run it.

EDIT : you can alter an XP CD so it works with a floppy drive not listed by Micro$oft, details here :- http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/82711-using-a-f6-driver-with-usb-floppy/

Another way is to slipstream the driver onto a new XP CD with nlite :- http://forum.notebookreview.com/fuj...pstreamed-xp-disc-w-drivers-xi-xa-series.html

Also you can set the Sata mode to IDE/ATA/Legacy mode in the Bios and no driver is needed.

Attached Files:

9. tjesh

tjesh Thread Starter

managed,

I think I have the answer. The IBM USB drive arrived a few minutes ago. I plugged it into my XP machine with the nVidia chipset. It was immediately recognized just as if it were a USB stick, and explorer recognized it as Drive A: (!) It also read the files on an old floppy.

I thank you for the driver software. I could never seem to find it. Even with it installed, however, the Mitsumi was not recognized. Either of two things, therefore: The Mitsumi will only work with Apple hardware, or it is a defective unit. Thanks again for your interest.

BTW: I noted the IBM USB is seen by XP as a TEAC drive. Either way, the model is given as: "FRU 05K9935". If other XP users read this, I found mine at "serversupply.com" for $25.

Regards, tj

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice