1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Foxit free reader, is....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by john50123, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john50123

john50123 Thread Starter

it secure, or is Adobe free more secure?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I think Foxit is as secure as any other pdf reader. I find it faster and much lighter than Adobe.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I would expect that they're about as secure as one another in absolute terms, but there will be more exploits written to attack the Adobe reader because it is so much more common.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Foxit is an excellent reader. I've tried many but ended up back with it. It's small and fast and in active development, so if any security problems are discovered, they will be quickly fixed. It is about 1/50th the size of Adobe Reader and has far fewer problems judging from posts I see here. Not sure what you mean exactly by "secure", but it is a fact that smaller, simpler programs are almost always more secure than larger, more complex ones.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The one other security difference worth noting is that Foxit does not (as far as I know) posses the same kind of "sandbox" feature which Adobe added to version 10 (sorry, version X) to prevent malicious PDF files from writing to the registry or file system.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wasn't aware of that new feature. Thanks.

I guess to some extent that shows how much Adobe thinks of their own ability to secure their program. It seems all their products are leaking these days.

But if that is the case, it is always possible to run Foxit in SandboxIE just as it is almost any other program. Of course, the source of the PDF is the most important thing to keep in mind.

For those who have Avast as an AV, you can also use that to sandbox any program (The free version has the feature, but it is not "on demand". It pops up when Avast thinks there may be a danger, so it likely would not offer to sandbox Foxit).

7. john50123

john50123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far, so will Foxit read the same files as Adobe?

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yes, Foxit reads pdf files, like Adobe.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice