1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Foxit

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bkpeck, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkpeck

bkpeck Thread Starter

Thank you thank you thank you
    We were having problems with Adobe Reader crashing!! I did a search on here and found Foxit...no more crashes.!!!

Kathy

2. hewee

hewee

I stopped using Adobe Reader after version 5 and changed over to Foxit that was many times better and used to be so small you could put it on a floppy.
    I know use PDF-XChange Viewer I like even better.
    Just see Installers Hall of Shame (Unwanted add-on) to know what is added to lots of programs. Foxit and PDF-XChange Viewer both now have a (Unwanted add-on) but the portable version does not. http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=16109&st=220&p=100707&#entry100707
    I use the msi installer that does not have the (Unwanted add-on) on them either. You need to install it under a Admin account because you have no (run-as) option to install with Admin rights.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides the fact that Adobe Reader has become very bloated, it puts entries in the startup list when you install or update it. Foxit Reader is much smaller and is a good replacement for opening and viewing PDF files.

Just for your information, if you didn't uncheck the 2 boxes and then click "Decline" while you were installing Foxit Reader, it installed an unneeded toolbar and add-ons without your knowledge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. hewee

hewee

Plus with Foxit Reader you have the updater. So if you did not install the the toolbar you have to watch out later that you do not install the toolbar by using the updater.

5. bkpeck

bkpeck Thread Starter

Should I uninstall Adobe reader? I unchecked the boxes but still got the toolbar...can I get rid of it??

6. hewee

hewee

7. bkpeck

bkpeck Thread Starter

Thanks Hewee ...I removed the Ask toolbar. Now I will remove the Reader!!

8. hewee

hewee

You're welcome bkpeck.

9. Rep

Rep

My Adobe reader will no longer open allowing me to view PDF's. So I go and try to get the newest version and am having trouble at their D/L page.

So I find this Foxit thing and people seem pleased with it. I find I am unable to uninstall the Adobe products from my PC. My system tells me something is in use.

Can I just D/L Foxit and my life will be put back to normal and I will return to a happy state?

Thanks

BTW - Hi hewee, it has been a long time.

10. hewee

hewee

Good to see tea Rep,

Maybe Adobe reader has a add-on like the Browsers add-on so a .pdf opens in the Browser.
    Also anything that is in the start-up that loads at boot.

But yes you can get Foxit or if I was you I would get PDF-XChange Viewer I talked about above. Get the msi installer that has no toolbar.
    I love how I can export all the settings and mark .pdf files and take notes etc and it remembers even after a new fresh install. But I export to to make sure I have a back-up.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice