1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Free Disk Space is out of wack.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LoSRx7, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoSRx7

LoSRx7 Thread Starter

this is on a windows 2000 server machine.
    2 Scsi drives.
    The 2nd scsi drive is a 13 gig drive, and when i go into it and select all and properties to see the total amount of the files size, i get a total of 2.5 gigs. Now i have the option to show all hidden and even system files, so everything should be showing. When i look at teh free space left, it says theres only 1.5 gigs left. I'm losing 9 gigs somehow and i don't know where? The other drive is reading the free disk space fine, but this one has me worried.
    I've ran scandisk, defrag, 2 anti-virus programs and still nothing.
    Has anyone delt with any of this??

Thx

LoS

2. Dan O

Dan O

Have you used Disk Manager and checked the properties of the drive?

To access Disk Management open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management.

3. LoSRx7

LoSRx7 Thread Starter

Yes i have done that.

When i go into that drive (D:) i select all of the folders and files, then do properties.
    It tells me the the size is 2.2 Gigs.

Now the harddrive is 12.9
    But windows is reading 11.1 GB used
    1.83 GB free space.

Does it have anything to do with Windows Server using up hardrive??? The hard drive Windows is installed on Has 1.5 GB left. I don't know whats going on, i jsut hope nothing is wrong

Thx.

LoS

4. Dan O

Dan O

I think you are mixing apples and oranges. You should not try to compare what you select with My Computer and what is listed in Disk Manager. For exampple, if you use My Computer, open the C: drive, and select Edit and Select All it totals only files in the root and the folder size. It does not include the contents within the folders.

If you are concerned about your hard drives, back them up onto another media if you have one, and run Error-Checking and Defrag.

5. LoSRx7

LoSRx7 Thread Starter

Well i've tried my method out on 4 different computers, and they all were reading right.

When i selected all the files and folders and did a properties, it did read within the folders also.

I just don't under stand why this one hard drive is picking up only 2 gigs under properties while windows reports 11 gigs used.

:)

LoS

6. Dan O

Dan O

I ran a few more tests and I found that XP will read the files within folders and count them for NTFS drives but not FAT, which is interesting. I learned something myself, thanks.

Maybe the drive is FATxx which is why there is a different.

7. LoSRx7

LoSRx7 Thread Starter

The drive is ntFs. I just tried it on another server exactly the same hardware, and software and it read the harddrive fine.

I think i'll copy the 2 gigs i can read and copy to another hardrive and see what the hardrive says

:)

LoS

8. Dan O

Dan O

How did you make out?

9. LoSRx7

LoSRx7 Thread Starter

found out the prob. The Active Directory User's Profiles folders wouldn't allow me to browse that user's folder. So after giving myself access to all the user's profile folders, i was able to find the missing space :) There was users that shouldn;t have had roaming profiles. Problem solved :)
    Thx for the help anyways.

LoS

10. Dan O

Dan O

Nice find.

Active Directory and roaming profiles are hard to understand and keep straight.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!