1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Free upgrade to W10 & keep W7

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by knj, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. knj

knj Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8173 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114442 MB, Free - 18690 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 849266 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P8P67-M PRO
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Updated and Enabled

Will it be possible to install W7 on drive D & upgrade this version, So that I still have W7 & all my programs on drive C.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 should allow you to retain your personal settings and installed programs.
    The upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Technical Preview 9926 did for me.

I'm using Classic Shell 4.2.0 to make it look more like Windows 7.
    I can also switch to the Windows 10 look.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You need to install your programs into the C drive of your computer. Installing it into another hard drive besides c might be impossible. You may want to partition your c drive to install W10 into your computer.

4. knj

knj Thread Starter

Thanks rank & Texasbullet.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's been no discussion as to whether Windows 7 and Windows 10 can be installed in separate partitions and still qualify for a free upgrade.

I doubt that it will qualify because you won't be doing a straight upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in the same partition.

------------------------------------------------------

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The Windows 10 Beta can be installed by using a partition in your hard drive. It will install without any problems if done correctly. As for the free upgrade version that will be another challenge. You might want to have two hard drives with Windows 7 installed and just upgrade to Windows 10 on one of them and save the other hard drive so you may want to swap them if necessary (optional).

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm referring to the FINAL release of Windows 10 and not the Technical Preview release.

I'm pretty sure it'll need to be installed in the same partition that Windows 7 is in to qualify for a free upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice