1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Freecell game problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ed Sailer, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

This may sound trivial, but my wife loves to play Freecell which of course comes with my Win 98 OS. Since I just completed building a new p4 computer using an ABIT BD7-Raid mother board and loading WIN98se, all the games work except Freecell which says either I do not have enough memory or Freecell created a protection fault in "Cards.dll". I also have a 256 mb DDR Card installed. When I check my computer performance it says 73% of memory is free. Sure would like to fix this for my wife if anyone can help.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

ED
    Researched Freecell problems and here is what I came up with.

1) IE6 install has messed up some peoples access to freecell
    2) Pop-up stopper free version has interferred with freecell operation
    3) Antivirus programs running have interferred, McAfees name comes up most.
    4) Corrupt or version changed dlls.

Possible Solutions:
    1) Deactivate popup stopper during freecell sessions
    2) Deactivate AV to see if interferring. If so contact AV vendor for fix.
    3) Find and rename these dll to xxxx.old and extract new copies from Win98se install CD.
    freecell.exe
    freecell.hlp
    cards.dll

Thats all I could find, hope that helps!
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

3. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

Thanks Davey 7549,
    Help me out a little on terminology.
    What is IE6? AV and the POP-UP stopper?

What I have done so far is delete the old .dll file and let windows reinstall it. I also deleted the help file, the exe file and any other file with the word "freecell" on it. I then let Windows reinstall Freecell. Funny thing is, on the re-install of freecell, it did not create a "Freecell help" file, but the game began working unitll, I made an illegal move and then it froze.

Do you think my new Radeon 7500 graphics card could be at fault?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ed
    IE6 is Internet Explorer version 6.

Popup Stopper is a freeware and shareware program that blocks thse pesky popup advertisements that you see on the internet.

AV stands for AntiVirus.

Your Video card could be causing a lock. Try reducing the hardware acceleration back a bit through you Display properties performance tab.

Did you uninstall using the Windows setup feature and then use that for Reinstall?
    Dave

5. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

Davey,
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    I removed these files by deleting them from my C drive manually. Then I unchecked the Game option from Accessories using the "Add and Remove Programs"- Windows setup" function. I then reboooted and had the Add Remove Programs reinstall it.
    But it didn't help.
    I do use IE6, should I go back to version 5?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ed
    Before you roll IE back let me research a little an see if there is a patch available for IE6 and freecell.
    Will get back to you.
    Dave

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ed
    Went through allot of the newsgroups and found many instances of your problem all related to Win98 freecell and the download of IE6. The majority said rolling back IE6 solved the issue. However there was one interesting one that suggested updating three dll files to the win98 versions or later which solved the problem.
    Here is the newsgroup listing:
    Click here for article
    If you do not have the Win98SE versions here is a site you should be able to get them from.
    http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html
    Click the DLL's in upper left of webpage.

Hope that works for you. Let us know.
    Dave

8. Ed Sailer

Ed Sailer Thread Starter

I have Win98 SE. I also had a recent reboot failure which was caused by a bad memory card I just installed. But before I realized what caused the " MS Dos Extender Fault" I re-formatted. In the process of re-installing Win98 SE and other peripherals, I kept track of the functioning of Freecell and noticed that only when I installed the drivers and other stuff my Radeon 7500 graphics card gave me, that freecell stopped working. It turns out that the Radeon Drivers CD installed something called Hydravision which gives you the ability to manage several Monitors and other stuff. I removed its program and Freecell is now working. Thanks for helping.

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ed
    Well I'll be! Who would of ever thought an optional two monitor program for a specific card would cause the freecell problem!
    Good detective work. Glad you got it fixed.
    Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice