Solved: Freeze!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compaquser

My stupid computer keeps on freezing randomly. I checked for viruses, trojans and all that junk but doesn't change anything.

I even cleaned out the dust out my pc. And ran it without the side panel but it still locks up. I only have sensors on my HDD and the temp is about 45-50oC so that is not bad.

I can't get temps for the rest of my pc because I don't have any sensors. I just bought the ram so it can't be that and YES my ram is compatible with my pc. I swapped power supplys but still happens.

Sometimes when it freezes and I do a hard reboot by pressing the power button in and I turn it on again the light on my monitor is yellow and it wont boot.

But my pc starts up and everything its just I have a blank screen. I thought it could be my video card because when I touch it, it feels warm but I dunno.

I am thinking about buying a new video card to see if that is the problem. My video card is a Nvidia Vanta Lt 8mb it doesn't have a fan or heatsink. That is weird. I am running Microsoft XP Pro.

Can someone help me?

Couple of questions; when was the last time you did a reformat? When did random freezing start? Have you installed anything new? Did you try to go back to last known configuration?

Also try Hijack This and run some antivirus software.

I'd at least try a reformat before you go start buying new parts. I've seen this problem many times and sometimes it defies explanation but reformatting has helped every time. Good luck and let us know what happens.

G'day compaquser, you might also run everest home, terrific program , free of the net, open the sensor page, see what your voltage and temperature readings are, we are espeically interested in the 5 volt rail, anything less than 4.95 will cause this problem.
Another cause may be memory, of course you are sure there is no problem with this but it is also symptomatic. Obtain "memtest86" off the net, load it on a floppy or CD and boot to it, leave it run for an hour or so, accept no errors!

At this point in time you have eliminated power and memory problems, so have a chat with the machine and ask it what it may think is wrong!!

If we go accessories > system tools > system information and open that program, it will show considerable stuff, but if you look at the menubar there you will see an item called "tools" drop this down and see if there is any mention of a "problem log" if so, open it and with your up market logic you will see a lot of stuff, scan through it for several moments and check the dates and try to see it there is a repeated mention of some particular program showing repeated problems. Ths can sometimes indicate a buggy program that is often best deleted with the add-remove programs and reinstalled or whatever..
Although you say you have scanned the thing and it is clean, you might try a sneaky little Indian program called "Smartcop" it is a freebee off the net, it unpacks into a simple folder and just requires double-clicking on a black icon. I regularly find this program uncovers things that others miss, that should read "that others are infected by" even Adaware and most A/Vs can be disabled but this little sniffer is a real little "rat-catcher". Give it a try!
Cheers, qldit.

I just bought the ram so it can't be that
Wrong !!!!
It might very well be causing this if it didn't occur before you installed it.
Try to switch back to the old ram and see what happens.

Hmm, i just had a look under "tools" in system information and all i can see is
Dr watson,other than that no problem log mentioned here ?

compaquser

lola2001 said:
Couple of questions; when was the last time you did a reformat? When did random freezing start? Have you installed anything new? Did you try to go back to last known configuration?

Also try Hijack This and run some antivirus software.

I'd at least try a reformat before you go start buying new parts. I've seen this problem many times and sometimes it defies explanation but reformatting has helped every time. Good luck and let us know what happens.

How do I reformat, I just did a clean install last month. What is reformatting. I have the windows xp disc. Do I lose my files if I do that?

compaquser

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Duron, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
CPU Alias Spitfire, Athlon Lite
CPU Stepping A2
Instruction Set x86, MMX, 3DNow!
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 64 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 453 Pin PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 25 million
Process Technology 6Mi, 0.18 um, CMOS
Die Size 100 mm2
Core Voltage 1.6 V
I/O Voltage 1.6 V
Typical Power 24.5 - 37.2 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 27.4 - 41.5 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 7 %

I think my voltages are above!

G'day compaquser, I think those voltages might be specifications, you need the realtime actual stuff.
When you run the everest program there is a computer icon/folder, inside this there is a sensors folder, inside this there is the stuff you need to know, it updates every few seconds, so it is as realtime as is possible, hopefuly.
Bad memory from new is common, especially with the cheaper stuff and most especially when it is not handled carefully using proper techniques. One major problem is when the ram is fitted to the board without removing the power lead, there can be substantial voltage differences between the actual slot and the item as it is fitted, this is apart from static differences.

The memtest86 program checks most of the memory possibilities and addresses using a variety of inserted symbols as to try to simulate every possible combination.
Under normal circumstances a test may indicate the system is clear, but it should be understood that temperature or other factors may introduce hidden error possibilities
so when a system has a problem it is sometimes pertinent to leave that program running for eight hours or more.

G'day dobbelina, yes that problem log only appears to happen when there are problems to actually log, and it keeps recording program problem events, one system had hundreds caused by one of the game programs, actually deleting the game and reinstalling stopped that problem, I did suspect a possible CDROM that had been involved with the original installation and was responsible, it had a habit of bad reads..
It is often very helpful to have a look and see if it is there.

Reformatting will clear the drive and everything on it.

With regard to viral infections, it is common to find the scanners especially the main antivirus system often does become infected. I suspect that this may happen when updates are loaded or when specific types of viral codes are experienced.
That is why I find that little smartcop program so useful, it does not update.
Cheers, qldit.

G'day dobbelina, yes that problem log only appears to happen when there are problems to actually log, and it keeps recording program problem events
Thanks for explaining that qldit :D

compaquser

This is the only thing I get in "sensors" I can't run memtest because my computer will not operate for that long it freezes after a certain amount of time. Even in safe mode.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures
WDC WD400BB-00FJA0 41 °C (106 °F)

G'day compaquser, gee you really are up the creek there aren't you!
That hard drive temperature sounds a bit hot, but it shouldn't cause your problem.
I have a sneaking feeling that your problem might be a power supply problem, as a matter of interest when the machine freezes, can you switch it off using the "on" button pressed for five seconds or so.
If it does not reliably turn off using this method repeatedly, then I would be inclined to try another power supply. What appears to happen is that the voltage rails droop and not only cause freezing by virtue of the processing ability dying, but also the ability to use the control line for turning the thing "off" commonly becomes marginal.

Another cause of this knd of problem is that the filtering capacitors on the motherboard sometimes lose their effect with age. This problem can often be determined by careful visual examination of these electrolytic capacitors, you will note the larger ones mounted on the mother board have stamped depressions in their top ends, this is to crerate a weak point in the event of overheating to allow a rupture. These capacitors contain electrolyte as a dielectric medium which begins to breakdown and heat up causing the case to swell. Of course this swelling is most noticeable at the top, where the original "flatness" becomes a "bulge" and often shows evidence of substance leakage at this central point.
If your examination shows any evidence of this bulging or leakage it would indicate that it is "new motherboard time".
Have a really close look at these capacitors.
Cheers, qldit.

compaquser said:
This is the only thing I get in "sensors" I can't run memtest because my computer will not operate for that long it freezes after a certain amount of time. Even in safe mode.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures
WDC WD400BB-00FJA0 41 °C (106 °F)
So you're running memtest either from a bootfloppy or bootCD, and still
gets freezing you mean ?
If so, then it's definitively hardware related.
I'd also go with qldit's diagnosis, that's it's tilting towards a power supply
issue.
But then again, i'm not always right either :D

Good evening dobbelina, yes it certainly is a well advanced problem isn't it, it seems the board does not have representative sensor output, so it makes it really difficult.
I can't really think of any method apart from either accurately measuring the voltages with a meter or trying another P/S.
I think we are well into hardware here. But as you mention there is never a safe bet in this racket.
Cheers, qldit.

Good day to you to :D
Dear "compaquser",
Since you can't run memtest (that you tried to run from bootable media ?), why not try to put back the old ramstick, and see if it works before going down the psu path ?
You said you just installed it, so i'd assume you still got an old stick.

compaquser

I tried to put back the old stick of ram but doesn't help problem. I don't see any bulges on my motherboard capacitors and I can shutdown with my power button on my cpu. I think it is a video card problem because when I shut down and the press the power button again because I have had a "lock-up" my monitor light is yellow and that seems like a video card problem. I am going to replace it and see if that helps. But if it doesn't what should I do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online