1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frequency Out Of Range

Discussion in 'Games' started by AdrianClarke, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke Thread Starter

Hey everyone

Well when i play any game (counter-strike, call of duty 2)

And after a while, my game freezes then goes black and then says

"Frequency Out Of Range
    Try Other Resolutions"

Well i have to restart my computer using the computer button and then i change my resolution and then it still happens.

Any suggestions?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The message is from the monitor itself, not from the computer.

It is advising you that the monitor refresh rate or scan rate exceeds that which the monitor can handle.

An interesting issue, since it happens while in the game, but it strongly suggests that either the CPU or the Video card is overheating and causing a reset which is defaulting to the non accepted video output.

As games are both CPU and Video intensive it could be either that is causing the problem.

3. AdrianClarke

Ohh from the montior itself...so i can change the montior and see if that works?

And also, it started happening when i upgraded to ATI Catalyst 5.13...and then i had problems with that so tried Omega 5.12 drivers

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Changing the monitor is unlikely to be helpful.

I will explain it again.

The message states that the monitor is getting the wrong signal from the computer (refresh rate too high or scan rate too high).

As this happens (according to your post) part way through a game, it indicates something is going wrong in the COMPUTER.

Probably your video card is failing, perhaps overheating.

5. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

Ya, If it was hte monitor itself then it would happen as SOON a the game started not part way in... Because it is part way nito the game it is osmthing screwing up in your computer

6. Swiper

Swiper

Frequency out of range can also sometimes occur if

You have a VIA chipset and the AGP drivers have not been installed / updated correctly
    My brother had this problem trying to run Need for Speed Most Wanted and Tiger Woods 06

I got him to manually go into device manager / find the appropriate AGP device ( in system devices listing ) and update it with newest ones he had downloaded / extracted to his harddrive.

good luck
    Swiper

7. AdrianClarke

Do you mean this? (Its Highlighted)
    [​IMG]

If You Do...then i clicked "Update driver" and it said it could not update the driver

And also Loony_Taz...I have the EXACT video card that you do except mine is Sapphire, not powercolor

8. Swiper

Swiper

you need to download the newest driver
    put it on a location on your harddrive, and when updating " force " it in
    and reboot

I have provided the updated AGP drivers here: (AGP V4.43h)

Attached Files:

9. AdrianClarke

Thanks alot, i updated and im going to try tomorrow, if it works, i shall bow down to you! =)

10. Swiper

Swiper

any updates ??

11. AdrianClarke

Well i did install that, it updated through driver update thingy, it seems to have worked, i mean, i can play the game longer now, but i still crash and turn blank, i dont get the frequency out of range message, but my screen does just go black, as in, when i shut down my computer, but i DONT turn off my monitor, it says "will turn off for power saving mode" and i move the mouse and hit a key on the keyboard (just like how you get out of screen save), but no luck, its really weird, i mean, the computer is still running and everything. And i did get a VPU recover ONCE but thats about it, it seems like the video card is not recongizing the montior.

From this point I know its the video card

12. AdrianClarke

Also, after it does shut down and VPU recovery comes up, my computer is REALLLLLY slow. Like its dial-up but offline internet as well (bring up programs or control panel and start menu). You can actually see it load, as in, it loads from top to bottom, if it makes sense.

13. Swiper

Swiper

IRQ for VGA enable in BIOS
    Aperature size is same or double your video cards memory in BIOS
    not overclocking at all ?
    heat isn't an issue I presume ?

sounds bizarro and something that would drive me bonkers at the same time

14. AdrianClarke

1. I presume I would have to going into my BIOS for that
    2. My What? lol
    3. Nope, I tried with TRIXX, but uninstalled TRIXX and set it back to its factory core. (If you think this is the problem, im pretty sure its not lol, i had the problem before I overclocked)
    4. Heat shouldnt be an issue, its got its on fan on it, and my AGP and PCI are at the far ends of each other, but I wouldnt cancel out heat just yet.

15. Swiper

Swiper

In your BIOS/CMOS settings you should be able to locate the
    AGP aperature size
    IRQ for AGP enable/disable
    your board may also indicate more AGP settings such as 2x/4x/8x/auto blah blah
    Fast Write enable / disable
    Side Addressing enable / disable etc.......... etc..
    mess around in there

but..........
    b
    careful

:)
    Swiper

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431913