1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frequency Out Of Range

Discussion in 'Games' started by AdrianClarke, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianClarke

AdrianClarke Thread Starter

Well i go into my BIOS (when i start up it tells me to hit F5 for "setup") and I looked EVERYWHERE in there, and the only AGP thing there is "PCI or AGP/Onboard" and AGP/Onboard enable or disable. I chose enable because I am using an AGP graphic card.

I know that my AGP speed is set to 8x (my Catalyst control center tells me that)
    When I had tried the Omega drivers, it recommended to keep the fast write disabled.

I realllly hate messing with my BIOS, because my parents use this computer for banking and stuff, and they would have my ***. lol

This problem is reallly annoying lol

2. AdrianClarke

Well I got the Frequency Out Of Range Message Again!

I remember Kiwi Guy saying that it could be my refresh rate or scan rate exceeds.

How can I change my scan rate? My refresh rate is at 60, which it should be

Also, I found this in another forum

I should try that.

Do you think syncing could be a problem?

ALSO! lol

Fast Write is currently OFF in AGP

But whats weird is PCI settings (write and read) is on, and im not using it for graphics.

3. AdrianClarke

Sorry for my massive triple posting butttt..

I found this

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;315614

Tried the resolution method, and it seemed to have worked! I ran the game for a good 30 min. + and even decided to go crazy and move around quickly that would crash any bad computer, and it still ran!

But the HUGEEEE downfall of this is I have to run it at 800 x 600...which is disgusting lol

I am currently trying other resolutions with different colour bits...such as running 1280 x 1024 on 16 bit...and see if it works.

[edit] Tested 1280 x 1024 on 16 bit. Ran quite well but still crashed after 30+ min...improvement from like 5-10+ min.

4. AdrianClarke

Very lastt post!

I think I have solved the problem. I downloaded a program called Speed Fan, which lets me gain control of my fan. And well I run my fan at 100% (4000 RPM) and I was playing counter-strike for about 1-2 hours and NOTHING bad happened. I'm guessing I didnt have enough fan power or circulation in my computer.

Also my settings were still at 1280 x 1024 on 16 bit colour...I dont see a difference in 32 and 16 bit colour, but it seems to have worked.

I thank you all for helping me!

If the problem occurs, I'll come back!

5. alias_hun

alias_hun

hi

could you please tell me what exactly you configured in the program SpeedFan? I downloaded it but couldn't find a single way to solve my problem. (anyway i have the same problem mentioned above, with the 'frequency out of range' problem)
    thx

6. silvershield

silvershield

If the problem is due to refresh rates, go Start, Run, type in dxdiag, and under the More Help tab, click Override, and select the monitors default/known supported refresh rates.

7. AdrianClarke

Well the very first page of speedfan is I changed the Fan 1 And Fan 2 to 100%. Mine was set to 40%

@ Slivershield...i did that, the only suppose refresh rate for me is 60 Hz.

My monitor is:
    Synchronization Range - Vertical 50 - 160 Hz

Synchronization Range - Horizontal 30 - 70 kHz

8. AdrianClarke

Okayy reallly making me angry lol.

It's crashing alot now (well whenever I change my settings) but still crashes when I don't

I want to get the blue screen of death and see what exactly is causing this crash and write it all down and submit it here. I want to re-enable the error giving thing, how can I?

[edit] Well my auto-restart was already disabled and I get no blue screen of death, how long should I wait for it?

9. AdrianClarke

Well when my game crashes now, it just crashes to the desktop, and sometimes i get the VPU recovery, i mean, yeah its kinda better, but now i wanna know what EXACTLY is causing this.

Also, i reinstalled ATI w/ 6.1 drivers and used the driver cleaner and everything, i even took out my video card and placed it back in to make sure it was sitting properly! but no luck.

Is there any kind of way that I can get the blue screen of death?

10. Swiper

Swiper

just crashes to desktop type of crashes or ??

You sure that AGP driver was successfully installed ( that i posted earlier )
    what does it exactly say now in that area of system properties ??

Make sure you have updated your Video card drivers (which it appears you have)
    Make sure you have the proper monitor driver installed (not plug & play type)

You dont' have this computer overclocked / video card overclocked etc... I presume ??

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Both of these symptoms point to a overheating problem, but, not your video card. I'd say it's your cpu overheating and not your video card. The reasons I believe it's your cpu are because:

1: The slow-down your experiencing which could to be the bios taking over and throttling the cpu.
    2. The video sync error could be that the video driver is crashing as a result of an error the cpu had from overheating.
    3. The crash to desktop could be an error the game had from the cpu overheating. That's why the multiple symptoms.

If it was just the vid card overheating, then you'd likely experience wierd artifacts in the video right before the crash.

Open the case, blow the dust out of the heatsink, check the fan's operation, and make sure the machine isn't to close to a obstacle for hot air to vent.

It could also be a memory stick failing, a unstable overclock, a faulty power supply, or a failing drive (least likely since you only experience the symptoms playing games). My bet's on the cpu overheating because speedfan helped, and the newer driver probably had more fault tolerance.

If cleaning the heatsink doesn't help, find a utility to read the cpu's temperature. If it's high, then you may need to put some new thermal paste under your heatsink and/or get a new sink.

If it's not high, test your memory. If that test fine, try a different power supply.

12. AdrianClarke

@ Swiper. No Overclocking, was thinking about it, decided not too. As for the upgrade thingy, it now says "VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller". Updated Video card to 6.1. I dont think its plug and play.

@gotrootdude...Well the speedfan program runs my fan at 4000RPM when i crank it up to 100% and it says my CPU temp is around 35-40 range. I have no memory stick (RAM) seems to be good (source: CPU-Z). A power supply COULD be an option. But wouldnt my WHOLE computer shut down? I mean, when i go into the blank screen where i can't do nothing, my computer is still potential on and when i crash to desktop, its still runs.

While on MSN and internet and running norton, my CPU temp reads 29 degrees and thats @ 40% of the fan's power

Also, when i removed my Video card, i blew out ALOT of dust that accumated in the fan.

13. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

Guys... FREQUENCY OUT OF RANGE = REFRESH RATE TOO HIGH, just put ur refresh rate to 60hz or something and u'll be fine.

happened to me once, changed refresh rate, and fixed.

14. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

CPU-Z doesn't test the ram. Use Memtest86 to test it. http://www.memtest86.com/

A bad power supply can cause random errors due to unstable power being delivered to the cpu and ram.

While a virus scanner can be a bit harsh on a cpu, it's normally more disk extensive than cpu extensive. So your cpu may not be fully maxed out and not gererating the same amount of heat it does while your playing games.

Try this, http://www.7byte.com/index.php?page=hotcpu
    and keep a eye on your temps.

Fans are only a part of proper cooling, most off-the-shelf manufacturers use stock heatsinks that don't perform as well as after-market heatsinks, use thermal tape or cheap thermal paste which doesn't work as well as quality paste, and don't do a whole lot to maximize air-flow.

If your running a off-the-shelf system, your PC could have been put together by a person who really didn't care if the thermal paste or thermal tape was applied correctly.

A cpu with properly applied qaulity thermal paste, and a high quality heatsink, will often make much more difference than how many fans a system has in it, or how fast the fans go.

15. AdrianClarke

@Courtland...i've changed my refresh rate ALOT, nothing happened.

@gotroot...i'll try those thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!