1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frequent BSOD during game play Win7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fleshy11, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fleshy11

fleshy11 Thread Starter

Hello,

My PC keeps suffering a BSOD during game play. After it happens, the screen won't come back unless I turn my PC off for a little while. I have tried updating NVIDIA drivers and have run a memory test that came up with nothing.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

I have attached mini dumps from Blue Screen View. Some info on my PC:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8183 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 1280 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 1111267 MB; D: Total - 143087 MB, Free - 132723 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P6X58D PREMIUM
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers,
    Fleshy

Attached Files:

• BSOD.txt
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Gabb123

Gabb123

Heh what a crazy coincidence, I actually got the same BSOD once yesterday while trying to server browse Origin for battlefield 3 servers and am also running windows 7 64 bit. I checked the mini dump and indeed it was the ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 that caused it ( same as your minidump file said ). I googled around and found most people didn't really know with some suggesting it was Norton or any semantic products causing a conflict ( I don't think so since I don't have any symantic product on my machine ), and some suggesting to do a chckdsk incase or run memtest86+ to test the ram a bit. Worth a try, lemme know if you find out anything and I'll do the same

3. fleshy11

fleshy11 Thread Starter

Hey mate,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try memtest and chkdsk and let you know if anything comes up. You're lucky you've only got it once, this is becoming pretty frequent for me and I'm worried the PC is on its last legs! If you have a similar problem to me you should notice it happen more and more frequently.

So at some stage this weekend this is what i'll try:

- memtest
    - chkdsk
    - disabling AV software
    - rollback graphics drivers
    - putting RAM into different slots

Cheers,
    Fleshy

4. zigzag3143

zigzag3143

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
    *If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

5. fleshy11

fleshy11 Thread Starter

Hey zigzag,

Attached are the .dmp files. Appreciate you taking a look!

Edit: In the Startup and Recovery Settings I unchecked "Automatically Restart" and change the Write Debugging Information to Small memory dump (256 kB)

Cheers,
    Fleshy

Attached Files:

6. zigzag3143

zigzag3143

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lo...op-0x116-video_tdr_error-troubleshooting.html

7. fleshy11

fleshy11 Thread Starter

Hey,

I pulled everything out of the case and gave it a good clean. Since then I haven't had any issues, so looks like you're on the money.

Thanks heaps for your help!!

Cheers
    Fleshy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!