1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frequent Disconnects BEYOND FRUSTRATING

Discussion in 'Networking' started by runningforlife, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. runningforlife

runningforlife Account Closed Thread Starter

Hello, here's an explanation of my issue. I will use my online game experience to help.

I get frequent and random disconnects every few minutes lasting several seconds to a minute. I would be playing a game and be able to watch myself die from other players but not be able to do anything about it. It's as if I'm not able to send any data during those disconnects but I can receive data, but after a few seconds of watching myself die the connection stops altogether. Some days I have this problem and some days I don't. It's not like it occurs particularly during high use hours. Sometimes this problem occurs after 11pm at night. Sometimes it happens in the morning at 8am and sometimes during the afternoon. Some days it's perfectly fine and I have a stable connection. This is beyond frustrating and I don't know enough to have an idea at what may be the cause. :mad:

I have Cox High Speed Internet and in their business policy it says they don't shape or throttle bandwidth so I'm guessing it's not that. We have recently replaced our old router and still have this problem. The modem is fine also. What is causing these disconnects? :(

2. usuallyresourcef

usuallyresourcef

I would monitor the connection on two computers. I have not had the need to do this yet, but if it were me I would use something like connectionmonitor on two computers, then view the log at the end of the day and make sure each computer was experiencing a disconnection at the same time. Then you could say that the issue is not at your gaming rig.

If both computers are experiencing a disconnection at the same time I would then call your Cox. They will be able to see the up and down times of your modem. It might even be quicker just to call them and see what their diagnostics say about up and down times. Give them a time to check around when you experienced the disconnection. Ask your ISP about their DNS servers. If their DNS servers are having problems then you'll have issues as well.

Viruses could cause similar issues. Malware could be causing intermittent internet redirects. If you suspect virus activity install the 30 day free trial of Kaspersky Internet Security and give it a scan and see what you get. Might even be worth running the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Have you run any internet speed tests around the time of the disconnection? Could give you some clues.

You could also run some jitter and latency tests around the time of disconnection. I think speedtest has a jitter test that works pretty well and might offer you some clues.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Along the same lines as above, you need to determine the whereabouts of the disconnects--between ISP and modem, between modem and router or between router and computer. The LEDs on the modem and router may help with this. If between router and computer are other computers disconnecting at the same time? If you are using a wireless connection do you get the same problems with an ethernet connection?

4. runningforlife

I have 2 other computers that disconnect at the same time. My brother would be doing his thing on another computer and my dad with his work and at the same time would experience a disconnect. But even when we're not using the internet simultaneously, I experience these disconnects so it can't be insufficient bandwidth. I have the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I've used it and scanned to find no issues. Also, I've called Cox before but they weren't so helpful. They pretty much said there's nothing wrong with the connection.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try with a computer connected directly to the modem.

6. runningforlife

My downstairs computer is directly connected to the modem and one of the computers with the problem.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, you're telling us that you have a modem/router combination unit?

Does it have any useful LEDs, and are they telling you anything useful about the disconnects?

Cox is a cable ISP, right?

8. runningforlife

I have a separate modem and router. The modem has LEDs. I never thought of checking the LEDs during a disconnect. I haven't experienced one today. But when I do, it lasts briefly. It would randomly reestablish connection within 30 seconds usually.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!