1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Frequent Spontaneous Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fairfield1, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairfield1

fairfield1 Thread Starter

If this message is in the wrong forum, please direct me to a better one.

Lately my Toshiba Satellite spontaneously shuts down. It completely turns itself off. This is a new phenomenon for this machine. It happens frequently and usually without warning. Only once was there a warning of a software error. There do not seem to be any power surges or power outages. My wife's Dell notebook is plugged into the same surge protector and it is not affected. The power connection to my computer appears to be OK.

Most of the time, the shutdowns occur only after the machine has been in use for a while. When the shutdowns occur, the machine is often (if not always) physically warm. For any session of use, once the shutdowns start happening, they occur with increasing frequency until I let the machine sit for a while without running it.

I have reinstalled the system software, applications and utilities. This included reformatting the HD. I have also run msconfig and eliminated most of the startup items. The shutdowns continue to occur.

I know the battery is worn out. However, the battery has been compromised for a long time, and the shutdowns only started recently. I only run run the machine plugged into the wall. When I inadvertently leave the machine on and not plugged it, the battery lasts only five or ten minutes. Usually, when I am not using the computer, I turn off the power at the surge protector. Sometimes when I do this, I loose the settings on my computer clock and have to reset it. My finances are limited right now, so I prefer not to replace the battery unless it is absolutely necessary.

Your advice and counsel will be appreciated--especially any advice on how I can fix the spontaneous shutdown problem at minimal cost.

Thank you,

:)

fairfield1

2. fairfield1

fairfield1 Thread Starter

It looks like I have solved this problem. Apparently my notebook was overheating due to the flow of air into the cooling fan being blocked. I have had it sitting on top of a platform that had an irregular surface that somewhat inhibited the flow of air. Then I happened to tape a piece of paper (a note about something I needed to remember) on the front of the machine. That apparently blocked that flow even more. Since I took the paper off and raised the notebook up on blocks--making sure not to block the cooling fan,--it has no longer shut down spontaneously. I intend to take the case off of the back and see whether there may also be some dust deposits that were contributing to the problem. My thanks to everyone who read this post.:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice