1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fresh install of Win7 always goes to system recover options

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ellegon18, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a Gateway T-1625 laptop. it has 2 gb of ram, 500 gb hdd, and an amd turion 64x2 processor. It came with win vista and am trying to upgrade to win7. I ran the disk, everything seemed to go fine, all the way up to setting the time and date. After the restart, it goes to "System Recovery Options" and asks for language. Next screen says "select an operating system to repair and click next. Only win vista operating systems are listed and can be repaired". My problem now is only win7 is listed. My options are to load drivers or next. I have read in a few places to load drivers, but i read them after trying to install win 7. I don't know where to look for drivers if that might be the case. If i click next, i get the "choose a recovery tool" and it states the operating system is win7 located on (C:) Local Disk. I have tried the startup recovery several times to no avail. When i look at the details, there are 10 problem signatures. The ones that look odd to me are the "Signature 1 SystemDisk" and "Signature 6 OsVersionMismatch". Like most idiots, i thought i could handle a simple installation and didn't bother to look for tips before hand, and now it's costing me. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't clarify if you're trying to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7(which retains your programs and personal data) or if you're trying to do a "clean" install of Windows 7(which wipes out everything and starts fresh).

Are you using a genuine original Windows 7 DVD?

------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site for the Gateway T-1625 laptop.

It has device drivers listed for Windows Vista, but not for Windows 7.

Hopefully you won't run into a problem with finding drivers for all of the devices in that laptop.

------------------------------------------------------

3. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I am trying to do a clean install of win7 and it is a copy downloaded from microsoft and burned to a dvd. And as far as the drivers are concerned, what is your opinion of the matter? Should i go back to Vista to be safe and is it too late at this point to do so?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried to boot now w/o the Windows 7 DVD? And, what happens?

You can go back to Vista using your Vista installation DVD or set of Recovery DVDs.

In most cases for a originally-Vista PC Windows 7 can find/install drivers at least good enough to boot the system. And then, when necessary, the Vista drivers will often work.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor? If so, did it indicate no problems?

5. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

No such thing as a dumb question. Yes i have tried restarting w/o the disk in the drive and it always goes back to the same place, System Recovery Options. I also did few searches for drivers and and they seem to be abundant. As far as the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, I have not. I don't know where i would find that and i dont see that as being an option right now.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Most devices that work with Windows Vista also work with Windows 7 and use the same drivers, but not ALL of them, so it's a good idea to check and make sure.

The built-in webcam is one device that some people have a problem with after switching from Windows Vista to Windows 7.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Understood. Could the drivers be causing the hang up at this point? I just downloaded a driver list that supposedly has all of the drivers i could possibly need, but i dont want to do anything at this point that might cause any more problems. Plus it is a program and i dont think it will run until i can actually access the computer. Its called Driver Genius Pro 2007. Have you heard of it before or do you have any other suggestions on a good place to get them?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't give the link to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before because you are right about it being too late now for it to be of any use.

It's been a long time since I've installed Windows 7, so I don't remember ...

If there is an option during installation to search the internet for drivers or other stuff then make sure you have an ethernet cable connected when installing Windows 7. Maybe the Windows 7 DVD has enough drivers to get ethernet working and find whatever else is preventing the installed system from booting.

A system can still boot with a lot of missing drivers. But if the boot-critical ones are not in or found by Windows 7 and not provided by the PC or motherboard manufacturer the odds of finding them somewhere else are very close to nil.

9. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

I don't recall if there was any options on searching the web, but if there was, I dont believe i did that. So any suggestions at this point then? Is it possible to reformat the hard drive at this point, wipe it completely clean, then try to reinstall windows again? The error about the os version mismatch makes me believe that I did something wrong or something didnt go as planned.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand that mismatch message either. I would start over, as the current effort does not seem to be going anywhere. Sometimes there just plain is some glitch during an installation and the next try goes perfectly.

11. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

I am reformatting now. I will update when this is finished. Once the reformat is completed, i should be able to just put in the disk and restart the computer to start the fresh install, is that correct?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, that is correct.

13. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Ok reformat is done, i did get this "volume label 32 characters, enter for none". i hit enter, so im hoping thats correct. I will be heading home soon and will install windows again once there.

14. ellegon18

ellegon18 Thread Starter

Ok, i think this might be part of the problem. I am installing windows, it is asking me where i want to install it. there are 2 partitions. Partition 1 says recovery total size 11.2 gb with 4.5 gb free, it is listed as the primary. partition 2 total size is 454.6 gb with 454.5 free space, and this type says system. what do i do from here? it is asking me where i want to install windows?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Partition 2, of course. You probably will not be able to make use of the Recovery partition any more but you may as well leave it alone for now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice