1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fresh install of Windows XP Pro to wrong partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Peter_Gibbons, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter_Gibbons

Peter_Gibbons Thread Starter

I just installed Windows XP Pro on my HP Pavillion a574n. I chose to do a fresh install rather than upgrade. I was given the option to choose which partition to install to, like the C: Drive & D: Drive. I wasn't sure so I picked D:, which is not the main drive, but I guess it's an extra recovery partition - it's small only like 4-5 gigs. After installing some programs and a few files, I noticed I started getting low disk space warnings. I guess I didn't realize installing XP Pro to the small partition would make that the main drive, where all my files like My Documents, My Music, everything on my desktop, etc. would store. My C: Drive should be the main one, it has a 250GB hard drive and that's where I want everything like My Docs, My Music, desktop files, etc. stored.

So, my question is, is there anyway to make that the main drive without having to reformat again?

Sorry if that's confusing.

2. Peter_Gibbons

Anyone have any clue? :confused:

3. tony007

tony007 Banned

No I'me afraid you will have to reformat again.

4. bbearren

bbearren

Yes, there is a way, but it will take a good bit of registry editing, moving some files around, etc. Are you up for that?

5. tony007

tony007 Banned

6. tony007

tony007 Banned

7. bbearren

bbearren

8. Peter_Gibbons

Yes, please I would like to hear how to do it. Thanks.

9. tony007

tony007 Banned

So do I.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Hey I am going to have to keep an eye on this thread I want to see how bbearren does this.

11. tony007

tony007 Banned

I hope he succeeds because I did'ent think it could be done.

12. bbearren

bbearren

How much free space do you have on your D: drive? I need to have that information before we start doing the heavy lifting.

Your computer specs say you have SP1. Do you not have Service Pack 2 installed? On some hp machines, there is some prep work you need to do before installing Service Pack 2. If you haven't updated to SP2, go to this site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=407150&os=228&lang=en

13. Peter_Gibbons

Oh, sorry. The computer info in my profile was a different system someone was helping me with. I only have 700MB of the 4.5GB of free space on the D: Here's the specs for the one I'm talking about:

HP Pavillion a574n
    Windows XP Pro 2002
    Service Pack 2
    P4 3.4
    1GB RAM
    C: 250 GB

Thanks again.

14. bbearren

bbearren

I'm assuming that you had XP on the C: drive originally, that you have a Documents and Settings folder on the C: drive, and that you have files, photos, etc. on the C: drive that you want to keep.

Here's one of the options you have; leave your fresh install of XP on the D: drive, and move everything but the OS to the C: drive (and I mean everything, the Program Files folder, the Documents and Settings folder, everything except the Windows folder and the root files). I can take you through this step by step.

The system can be configured so that everything that would normally default to D:\Documents and Settings will default to C:\Documents and Settings; everything that would normally default to D:\Program Files will default to C:\Program Files, and so on, and so forth. Your OS will be on D: by itself, and everything else will be on and/or go to your C: drive, making it your main storage drive.

There will be detractors who say it can't be done, shouldn't be done, won't work, programs won't work right, etc. However, I've had two installations setup that way for some time, now. It can, and does, work just fine.

If you want to try this, we'll be moving stuff around, and while I've not had any problems or lost data, it's still important to have backups of all your important files before you start making any system modifications.

15. Peter_Gibbons

I did originally have XP on the C drive, but my Doc & Settings folder is now on my D drive, along with My Documents, My Music, etc. - after the fresh install to XP Pro. On my C drive it has folders like Windows, $WIN_NT$.~BT & some programs I installed. I would like see how this can be done, so I'm ready to go(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice