1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fresh Install WinXP Home, locking up at end of install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eegle3, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eegle3

eegle3 Thread Starter

Thank you in advance for any help, here is the situation, so bear with me. I have two computers, one I use for gaming, the other for school. Both computers had 60gb Maxtor (school with lots of room, gaming with about 10 gb free). My school HD took a powder (the evil clicky noise of doom), but I was able to back up my files prior to that. Me being a quick thinker, I decide to upgrade my gamer puter to a 120gb (don't wanna go too nutso, as I am considering building a much superior computer), and put the good 60 gb in my old Athlon 700. Problem? I cannot get Windows XP Home to complete install on my gamer computer. (Athlon 700 installed just fine with 'good' 60gb).
    Gamer Computer: Athlon 1800+, 512MB DDR Ram 2100, KR7A Raid MOBO, GeForce3 Ti 200 (128MB DDR RAM), SB Audigy 2(AGP).

It is a RAID mobo, but i do not use the raid functionality, I did not have a problem before(I have my HD and my 2 roms on ide now). I go through the install steps, and I get to the very very end, where it states you are about to start Windows XP, and then it hangs, and thats it.

I have tried to ensure there are no conflicts, I pulled out my sound card as well as my network card, and 're-seated' my video card and RAM. I have tried looking at using a winxp bootup floppy, booted into safe mode (the only error it detects is the missing RAID, no conflicts detected there). Heck, I even swapped out mouse and keyboard. I tried putting back the good 60gb back in the pc, and reformatting, but still get the same thing(sometimes the screen is black, sometimes the icky blue of xp, but that's it).

I have no idea now. I did make sure that my bios was up to date before taking down the system originally, and it was, so no change was made there. Even swapped out the ribbon cables to ensure nothing was damaged on original removal.

Help greatly appreciated.

2. 42gary

42gary

have you taken a good look at the condition of the install cd? All it takes is one small defect in the right spot to cause your install to hang. Even the top side of the cd, if damaged/scratched, will cause this to occur. Good luck

3. eegle3

eegle3 Thread Starter

It's not the disc(was a little smudged, but that isn't it). It can boot into safe mode after rebooting after trying to install, but I can't seem to see if there is any other errors occurring.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

See if booting to the XP CD and loading the Recovery Console then running FIXBOOT and chkdsk /p , allows you to get to the desktop.

Disconnecting modem and printer, etc. might help too.

5. eegle3

eegle3 Thread Starter

i forgot to mention, i did have network card removed as well as the printer.

ran chkdsk /p, found one or more errors. ran fixboot successfully per the computer. ran chkdsk / p again, no errors indicated, still hard locks on bootup.

one more side note. reason i removed network card is it was on IRQ 5 along with two other items (which i assume are my usb ports in the back (unused)).

Bus No. Device No. Func. No. Vendor/Device Class Device Class IRQ
    0 17 1 1106 0571 0101 IDE Cntrlr 14/15
    0 17 2 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 5
    0 17 3 1106 3038 0C03 Serial Bus Cntrlr 5
    0 19 0 1103 0004 0104 Mass Storage Cntrlr 10
    1 0 0 10DE 0201 0300 Display Cntrlr 11
    ACPI Cntrlr 9

Is it possibly still a conflict?

6. eegle3

eegle3 Thread Starter

Solved, part way at least. I have narrowed the issue down to, of all things, my video card. I placed an old pci video card into computer and it worked. But, now the question remains, is it the video card? or the AGP slot. Is there a way, without ripping out friend's agp card for testing purposes, to test this theory?

7. natcom

natcom

well sound more like the video card if it was the AGP slot your computer bios will give you
    some beeps letting you know something is up there are software that can test every part of your mobo but they are not free

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If I get a disk that is a bit dubious I make a copy (or slipstream it, if necessary). When copying I copy to the hard-drive first and then burn a new CDR using data verification. The new CDs always work better than the old ones. (So far that is.)

9. eegle3

eegle3 Thread Starter

Well, the issue was now with the Windows XP Home video card driver. That's all. urggggggg. I removed the driver, booted up, then installed the good (and latest) driver.

10. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Nicely done! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice