Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Fresh Vista Install Runs Perfect but Starts Up Slow

996 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  ibanez2k 
#1 ·
I'm working on an Alienware Sentia laptop for a friend of mine. It's about a year and a half old. He has been running XP on it just fine but he recently got a copy of Vista Business that he installed. I've reformatted and installed it a few more times and I keep running into the same problem. After installing it boots up EXTREMELY slow. About 6 or 7 minutes. It will very slowly go through the windows boot screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom (the bar stops for a bit every few seconds). After that finishes it will load up the main login screen just fine. You can put in your password and hit enter and once the screen fades to black with the cursor on it like it's going to fade back into the vista screen, it just stays black with the cursor. You can move the cursor around perfectly but it stays black. After 2 or 3 more minutes windows will FINALLY start. Oddly enough once you get into Windows everything appears to be working fine. Nothing else has been installed yet. Just a fresh vista install. This is a Service Pack 1 disk I might add. After install we have run all the updates. All the drivers installed innitially upon loading just fine. Device Manager reports nothing in error except for the built in phone modem which it couldn't find a driver for. We don't really care so I disabled it anyways. Everything works great. Why would this system that works fantastic once it boots up take so long to boot. I've never did a vista install that boots this slow. It's always really fast. The computers got a 2.1 Gig processor and 2 gigs of ram. Everything should be running smooth. I'd really like to not have to go back to XP if I don't have to on this one. Any ideas? Thanks.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.