1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fresh XP Pro cleanup, Windows Messenger won't go away!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nostzz, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

So at this point it's become a grudge. It's only a few MB but in the past I've never been able to remove it and it's just pissing me off.

Windows Messenger must be vaporized! :mad::mad::mad:

What I've done already:

1. Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components
    Unchecked the box by Windows Messenger, clicked next and restarted. Still 2.02 MB of it in C:\Program Files\Messenger

2. C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf
    Changed the msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 line to msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
    Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components
    Unchecked box by both Windows Messenger lines, clicked next and restarted. Folder still exists, same size.

Not sure what else to do. Help please.

2. techychick

techychick

3. websquad

websquad

I was researching another problem and stumbled on your post. Used the second solution and it work great! Just rebooted an no MS Messenger!

What I'd like to have is a "universal" IM client, so long as it supports Google Talk (both keyboard and audio).

Any ideas ??

Thanks for your help !!

bob
    <><

4. Nostzz

Nostzz Thread Starter

I finally just wound up deleting the Messenger folder, and then did a few cleanup programs.

Thanks for your reply techychick. And here's a list of pretty much every single IM program with descriptions for you websquad.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients
    I don't use many IM programs but I'm sure you could find a nice universal one in there somewhere.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice