Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Freshly formatted winXP comp hangs is "welcome" screen!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Book 
#1 ·
I have just formatted my old PC and installed winXP professional. Everything went as expected, I also configured my internet connection and activated windows, then I restarted. Now the computer hangs in the "Welcome" screen and stays there. What could the problem be? I haven't installed any graphics drivers or any other device except for my modem. I also changed the colour depth (I think that's how it's called) in the monitor settings to 32 bit (from 16 bit). Maybe because no video driver is installed, could that cause a problem?

Thanks!

#5 ·
1) I have waited long enough for the computer to show the computer to show the desktop font (Bliss), and then it simply stays there, doing nothing. I waited an extra 3 minutes.
2) I reinstalled windows because of various issues, mainly because the computer was full of stuff. When I tried to format my HDD, it said that it could not finish the format (it said that it might have been damaged) so I used ANOTHER HDD, but that's another issue.
3) I didn't really have the time to do anything at that moment so I just shut down the power and left. So what would you recommend me doing when I go over there again (it's not my computer). Should I run chkdsk? Should I restart in safe mode and do something? Defrag the HDD?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.