1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Freshly formatted winXP comp hangs is "welcome" screen!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Book, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Book

Book Thread Starter

I have just formatted my old PC and installed winXP professional. Everything went as expected, I also configured my internet connection and activated windows, then I restarted. Now the computer hangs in the "Welcome" screen and stays there. What could the problem be? I haven't installed any graphics drivers or any other device except for my modem. I also changed the colour depth (I think that's how it's called) in the monitor settings to 32 bit (from 16 bit). Maybe because no video driver is installed, could that cause a problem?

Thanks!

2. lce_123

lce_123

how long have you waited?

3. rodeognome

rodeognome

what was the original problem i.e. why did you have to put on a new version of Windows?

4. o_ilove

o_ilove

Can you run chkdsk ?

5. Book

Book Thread Starter

1) I have waited long enough for the computer to show the computer to show the desktop font (Bliss), and then it simply stays there, doing nothing. I waited an extra 3 minutes.
    2) I reinstalled windows because of various issues, mainly because the computer was full of stuff. When I tried to format my HDD, it said that it could not finish the format (it said that it might have been damaged) so I used ANOTHER HDD, but that's another issue.
    3) I didn't really have the time to do anything at that moment so I just shut down the power and left. So what would you recommend me doing when I go over there again (it's not my computer). Should I run chkdsk? Should I restart in safe mode and do something? Defrag the HDD?

Thanks!

6. rodeognome

rodeognome

try booting into Safe Mode then go to Start > Run > type "CMD" > type "CHKDSK"

7. Book

Book Thread Starter

ok, I'll try that. Any other ideas?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice