1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Friend's computer screwed up - need help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by golddust, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

My friend's computer has been open to viruses, spyware, malware, and anything else that might be out there and it seems like she's contracted it all. I have tried to clean up the mess (she had several Trojans on board) and installed Spyware Blaster, Adaware, and AVG anti-virus, but the improvement is only slight. I finally suggested doing a system recovery to see if that cleans things up. Recovery went smoothly until the last screen before bringing up the desktop - pushed the finish button and it's just hanging there. Left it at that spot for an hour and it hasn't done a thing. I'm considering a full system recovery for tomorrow. Told her she'll lose whatever data she has but since she couldn't access anything anyway it doesn't make any difference. Control panel and windows explorer could not be accessed before the recovery I did today (this was a recovery without data loss). Any ideas on what may be going on, and if the full system recovery can fix it?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

You've done about everything I'd have done but you didn't say whether you'd done the scans with the latest signature files. I assume since she can't access files, etc. you weren't able to get on line to download the latest. Is that right? Also can you boot to safe mode at all now?

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If there's some important data on the HDD, you could try pulling it out of the PC and putting it in another working PC as a slave drive.

Then you can see if you can get access and copy the files to CDR.

Make sure the working PC you xfer the hDD to is properly antivirus and spyware protected and disconnected from the internet.

4. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

Was able to get on internet to update AVG and Spyware Blaster before connection was severed. Ran AVG and it took much longer than it should have to scan (she has same system I do and not a whole lot of data so I know it took much to long). Turned up 24 infected files (3 Trojans). AVG was only able to fix 22 files. Right now, it's stuck at the last window of the recovery process before the desktop comes up. I don't know if it could start in safe mode at this point. since we both have HP Pavilion pcs, I intend to go over there tomorrow with the recovery cds and do the full recovery - unless I can find out something tonight. (HP came up with the idiot idea of saving the recovery files in a separate portion of the hard drive so if the files are bad you have nothing to do a recovery with. It so happens that I was having problems with my HP pavilion - which just went out to the shop today, by the way - and had to order the cds. Turned out that wasn't the problem and they are reimbursing me for them, but at least I have them to use on my girlfriend's computer.)

5. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

She couldn't access what little data she had. PC hangs, programs she has no idea what they are keep trying to start, popups abound when online and slow down the system till it hangs. She has Trojan infestation and who knows what else going on. She had no anti-virus protection for a long time and things just progressed from bad to worse. Someone else tried to fix it when I couldn't get over there, but I think they made things worse. The possibility of a virus apparently never even crossed their minds.

6. WarC

WarC

Her machine is so infected there is little recourse but to do a full system restore that includes a full drive format. This will be a good learning experience for her, as it is for everyone. Losing all your data to a virus or too much spyware is a real pain in the butt, man!

7. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking, but it's good to hear corraboration from someone else. Just to make sure, is 'full drive format' what the system restore does or do I have to do something special to prepare the drive?

8. replay

replay

why don't u post in the security forum (if her puter able to get online) they will have u post a hijack this log and help u kill the trojans

9. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

I had thought about it but decided to try the recovery without data loss because it was so hard to get her online (computer hangs on most tries and having to reboot a few times before any success that could cut me off at any time just seemed like too much). That was when I decided to try the recovery w/o data loss (hoping against hope that would do the trick), however just before the desktop was to come up it hung and stayed there. Will try the full system restore today.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Any "recovery without data loss " is not going to get rid of viri or trojans . . only a clean install will do that.

To do that, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

wrs

11. golddust

golddust Thread Starter

:) Thanks to all for your help. Did the total system restore today and now her computer is running beautifully. Updated her AVG, Adaware, and SpyBlaster, gave her a schedule to follow for updating and scanning - now hopefully things will run OK.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!