1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: From Outlook.com back to Hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sweetwater, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetwater

sweetwater Thread Starter

How do I get my Hotmail email account back? I was asked to TRY Outlook.com, and I did and I don't like it. Now, I need instructions how to get my Hotmail account back without losing my email address. I feel my hotmail account was hijacked by outlook.com. Please help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Moved your thread, as it seems to have nothing to do with Windows 7.

Are you saying that "trying" Outlook.com doesn't give you a new account but instead renames your account from @hotmail.com to @outlook.com? (Should be obvious from my question that I haven't tried it.)

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Quick Google search seems to come up with the answer.

4. sweetwater

Thanks for your reply.

Week or so ago, a message came to me asking if I wanted to "try" Outlook.com. I indicated yes. So what I didn't realize was that every time I sign in to my hotmail email, I'm taken to Outlook.com. That's where all my hotmail email, sent messages, inbox, etc. is located. And the only way to get away from Outlook.com (that I can see from Microsoft) is to remove my hotmail address. It seems to me so stupid that microsoft didn't make any easy way to get out of Outlook.com. Didn't think Microsoft would make something like this so difficult. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Thanks again for replying.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

And this is when you sign is as ...@hotmail.com, right?

I'm guessing (that's guessing) that you used your hotmail account to sign in to outlook.com and either directed your hotmail to be forwarded to outlook.com or else that was done automatically for you. If that is what happened check the Help page or the user forum to see how to unforward.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's working as designed. Hotmail is going away and will be replaced by Outlook.com. You should be seeing a simple redirection. You need to start notifying your contacts that your new e-mail address is at Outlook.com instead of Hotmail.com

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I read that we can still keep our hotmail.com addresses, but cannot get new hotmail accounts.

8. sweetwater

Thank you, TerryNet and DoubleHelix, for responding to my question re hotmail/outlook.com. I hate outlook.com!! Pictures were greyed out the last time I forwarded email from outlook. That didn't happen to me with hotmail. I use my hotmail address to get into outlook.com. When I sign in to hotmail with password, I'm immediately taken to outlook.com. It's as if my hotmail account has been hijacked by outlook because I don't see a way to get the hotmail "program software"? back. When I agreed to "try" outlook, I thought there'd be an easy way to get out of it. I did notice at some point a message that said my hotmail had been "upgraded" to outlook.

Didn't realize hotmail was being replaced with outlook. I just need a simple email service. I've been with hotmail for many years and pay $20 a year for extra storage.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

9. Koot

Koot

I suspect Outlook.com will improve and enhance things as time goes by making Outlook.com better than what you are now used to with Hotmail. As DoubleHelix told you, Hotmail is going away and the replacement will be Outlook.com...so you might as well accept what is going to happen...

10. Anne_C

Anne_C

11. v8snake

v8snake

I followed the instructions but still have to login using outlook.com and have @hotmail.com mails under a separate folder not inbox which also means that my phone does not get the hotmail mails.

Any ideas how to rectify this immense balls up from microsoft?

To be honest, I should have followed my own advise to others - wait a year or so for new microsoft software to be tested and "fixed"

12. v8snake

v8snake

1) If you want 'hotmail.com' go to your personal settings and set your country to United States

2) The scary bit. You won't be able to rename to your hotmail.com because it is now listed as an alias. You must delete this alias. It gives you a scary message about removing your inbox. I clenched my teeth and went for it...
    https://account.live.com/ManageAssocIds

3) You can then rename your account to your old email account using
    http://mail.live.com/?rru=renameaccount

I've been without hotmail for weeks and now it's all up and running again.

13. evamripp2

evamripp2

I feel the same way. I went out of the country. It did not even ask me to try outlook. It just went straight to it. I thought I would get back once in the USA. I am very upset because I lost almost all my contact. I hate you outlook. I want my hotmail back

14. apflynn

apflynn

thanks Anne for the simple answer to the problem that has been bothering me for weeks,
    outlook is so annoying

15. denka

denka

This happened to me as well, and I am saying when it asked it was like it was saying you could TRY IT :confused:and now it has taken over all of my folders in Hotmail. I do not like this new Outlook and in fact HATE IT. I want Hotmail back but there is no way I can find to go back. If they would have said that once you clicked yes that Hotmail would be gone forever I definitely Would Not have clicked yes. When you type in Hotmail now in the address bar it goes directly to Outlook(n) with your [email protected] . It was like being hijacked! Can anyone help??? Please

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065254